pfSense replacing a Cisco Router - not acting as expected

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jonthewise

Nov 22, 2017
@LodeRunner Ah, for me routing was never a problem with the Cisco - I just couldn't get it to do both failover and NAT at the same time. All the WAF failures were related to DNS or her profile being stored on the NAS. Simply building the standalone domain controller and removing her PC from the domain solved a lot of the issues, but then with all the downtime I had trying to get pfSense working there was of course more complaining. Now that I've got everything straightened out, I expect the complaints about the internet to go down drastically.

@dswartz LOL, yeah, I totally feel you - most of the time for me it was just her Netflix or YouTube going down, so she could deal, but if I were cutting her off in the middle of her workday, there'd be hell to pay :D

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
@dswartz LOL, yeah, I totally feel you - most of the time for me it was just her Netflix or YouTube going down, so she could deal, but if I were cutting her off in the middle of her workday, there'd be hell to pay :D
When we were first together, I'd ask her about doing X or Y or Z. Finally she said 'I don't really care what you do as long as I can get to my work VPN, do facebook, etc...!" Okay then :)

coxhaus

Jul 7, 2020
Should I create all the VLANs in pfSense, and then turn the port that it's connecting to into a trunk port? (I didn't do this previously with the router)
If you create all the VLANs on pfsense using its gateway then your L3 switch is no longer L3 routing. pfsense is doing the L3 routing. You need to setup route statements on pfsense that point to your L3 switch for the switch networks which are not defined on pfsense. You also have to open the firewall on pfsense for those networks also.