PFSense as VM

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
May 11, 2016
One compelling argument against virtualizing a router (of any type) is that bringing down the hypervisor for updates/fixes often requires internet access. If the activity goes bad (you need additional packages, look up a config setting etc) you're SOL because your network connection is down. With the proliferation of tethering smart phones it's not as much of an issue but something to keep in mind, especially if the equipment is remote/lights-out. Unless you're really short on funds/space it's probably better to keep your router as bullet proof as possible (no extraneous dependencies, no moving parts, etc).

With that said, I have run pfSense virtualized on ProxMox and Vmware and haven't had any issues.

Reactions: gigatexal
Sep 22, 2015
One compelling argument against virtualizing a router (of any type) is that bringing down the hypervisor for updates/fixes often requires internet access. If the activity goes bad (you need additional packages, look up a config setting etc) you're SOL because your network connection is down. With the proliferation of tethering smart phones it's not as much of an issue but something to keep in mind, especially if the equipment is remote/lights-out. Unless you're really short on funds/space it's probably better to keep your router as bullet proof as possible (no extraneous dependencies, no moving parts, etc).

With that said, I have run pfSense virtualized on ProxMox and Vmware and haven't had any issues.
One other gotcha is to make sure your hypervisor and motherboard KVM aren't getting anything from DHCP. If your hypervisor fails to start and you can't see why because your remote management doesn't have an IP...you're gonna have a bad time. Ask me how I know this.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
One other gotcha is to make sure your hypervisor and motherboard KVM aren't getting anything from DHCP. If your hypervisor fails to start and you can't see why because your remote management doesn't have an IP...you're gonna have a bad time. Ask me how I know this.
Put a Static IP on IPMI, the hypervisor, and one management PC around the house (a NUC, in my case). Ask me how I know this ...

:)

Reactions: socra

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011

All good points. If you run a 2-node cluster like I do, this should not be a concern, though...

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Put a Static IP on IPMI, the hypervisor, and one management PC around the house (a NUC, in my case). Ask me how I know this ...

:)
Its probably a bigger set than this. Consider which parts of your deployment form the "undercloud" - those elements required to launch "the cloud". Make sure they don't have any upstream dependencies on the cloud itself or any applications/services running in the cloud.

I include Static for all of the following (and distribute a local hosts file for all of them):
  • All switches and router nodes
  • All hypervisor hosts
  • All storage nodes (esp. vsan like Ceph, etc).
  • My primary wireless AP
  • At least one management PC
Just like you - ask my why I know this. I think we may have had similar experiences.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
how do you distribute the hosts file, i'm curious.
I'd love to give an answer that sounds "cool" like via Foreman or Ansible or some tool that sounds like I know what I'm doing.

Unfortunately the answer is that I do it the old fashioned way - "manually". My lab is small (currently 11 "hosts", 3 switches and one router in what I consider my "undercloud").

Reactions: gigatexal

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
Is there a guide to setting up Pfsense as VM that you guys suggest? Using esxi 6 for an AIO
Also the specs needed to use it for 10G capable network on a fiber 1G link? Just running 1 VPN from time to time from home to office.

I also have an unused edgerouter er8. Would this be easier to configure? but I was told it won't be 10G capable

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Going to start playing around with pfsense myself! Downloading today :)

Keljian

Sep 9, 2015
Melbourne Australia
Is there a guide to setting up Pfsense as VM that you guys suggest? Using esxi 6 for an AIO
Also the specs needed to use it for 10G capable network on a fiber 1G link? Just running 1 VPN from time to time from home to office.

I also have an unused edgerouter er8. Would this be easier to configure? but I was told it won't be 10G capable
Being that you have a VM to play with, why don't you try a few different configurations of the VM to see what works best?

The biggest challenge will be what plugins you use. Start with 2 vcores and 4 gig of ram, then scale up from there if required. The faster the cores, the better obviously.

spazoid

Apr 26, 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
I usually see sub 5% CPU usage with 1 vCPU (e3-1275 v3) on a 100/100 mbit line.. Opening up the webinterface is actually a lot more demanding than downloading at full speed. I've only allocated 1GB vMEM, but with only vmtools and RRD summary packaged installed, it is more than enough - I could easily get away with half a gig.

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
So no takers for the edgerouter? Pfsense all the way?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

wildchild

Feb 4, 2014
Well if you like edgeroute , which is a nice device btw, but you like to run it virtual ( and maybe even clustered over 2 vmware hosts) .. you may want to take a good look at vyos both are openvyatta abeid edgeos is an eatlier fork

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014
I am actually more comfortable with hardware at the front end of the network connection, which is why I am considering the edgerouter. How challenging is it to use a VM(Sophos or Pfsense) instead? Is the network cabling going to be complicated?

Sep 22, 2015
I am actually more comfortable with hardware at the front end of the network connection, which is why I am considering the edgerouter. How challenging is it to use a VM(Sophos or Pfsense) instead? Is the network cabling going to be complicated?
Add a separate dual port+ nic for PFSENSE. Pass it through or just create virtual switches with only the PFsense VM assigned. Then you just run two cables (one from the cable modem, one to the switch) and that's it. Your existing VM host LAN connection will remain plugged into the switch as it is now.