PFSense as VM

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Biren78

Jan 16, 2013
What hypervisor too? There's an official pfSense ESXi VM too if you're a gold subscriber.

Keljian

Sep 9, 2015
Melbourne Australia
I think my post didn't come through.

I run pfsense in a VM as my router, firewall and UTM(suricata) on ESXi.

I dedicate:
16 gig of storage (8-10 is probably enough)
3 gig of ram
2 vcpus

My wan is 100mbit/2.5mbit

I very rarely exceed 30% usage and have 300mhz reserved for the VM so if I peg the box doing something I still have reasonable speeds.

Note the box has an i7-4790 as a cpu

A couple of tricks:
If you have an existing pfsense box you want to replicate, just do a config backup on that box, do an install on the VM and restore from the backup, will have you up in about 10 mins- just have to reconfigure the nics

Use openvm tools in pfsense.

Use virtual nics versus passthrough, which will mean that if you change real nics, you don't have to reconfigure

Last edited:

socra

Feb 4, 2011
I am thinking of running PFSense as VM...
Currently running SOPHOS UTM as VM...
Any suggestions for RAM,HDD space etc...
Just made the switch myself from Sophos to PFSense.. if you don't do anything crazy you can start with a 1 GB RAM, 8 GB thin disk and vmxnet3 adapters and you'll be just fine.

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
Really depends on your usage. I use a lot of OpenVPN connections which taxes my CPU a good bit (150Mbps connection). I have 2 vCPU's of my Xeon D-1540 provisioned along with 4GB of RAM and an 8GB vmdk.

EluRex

Apr 28, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
Two thread (2 vCPU) for PfSense is really needed due to 1 thread for routing & iptable and the other is dedicated to ipsec/openVPN + snort + squidGuard
RAM: 1G ~ 2G depends on the number of your concurrent sessions
HD: 8GB is more than enough

I am running
  • PfSense VM on i7 3770 via KVM
  • PfSense VM on Xeon D-1540 via KVM
  • PfSense on C2758

Keljian

Sep 9, 2015
Melbourne Australia
Two thread (2 vCPU) for PfSense is really needed due to 1 thread for routing & iptable and the other is dedicated to ipsec/openVPN + snort + squidGuard
RAM: 1G ~ 2G depends on the number of your concurrent sessions
HD: 8GB is more than enough

I am running
  • PfSense VM on i7 3770 via KVM
  • PfSense VM on Xeon D-1540 via KVM
  • PfSense on C2758
I would rather dedicate more ram, last thing you need is to run out..

acmcool

Banned
Jun 23, 2015
Woodbury,MN
Had very frustrating day with pfsense...
Installed it...Could not get LAN traffic to go to WAN...
The DHCP was working and I added firewall rule for each VLAN.

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
If setup in vanilla mode (before you screw around with it) on VM and you have two physical NIC's passed to the the PF then should be OK. That being said, it took a long time to PFSense on VM's and there will still be bugs.
One of the reasons I always keep mine on dedicated hardware and NOT a VM.

Keljian

Sep 9, 2015
Melbourne Australia
Sorry pfsense has been virtualised by people for years. Plus it is officially supported with VMware.. There is no reason to think it'd be more buggy than on baremetal

Lost-Benji

Jan 21, 2013
The arse end of the planet
It has spent more years off VM than on.
Still prone to issues on either platform, more so on VM as you are introducing way more variables.

I have run both versions and found, dedicated hardware is cheap and easy to use. No need for virtual NIC's, VLAN's or possible grey areas like the OP is having now.

Hardware option also keeps your security at the edge, not inside your network.

Keljian

Sep 9, 2015
Melbourne Australia
The security argument (unless you are a government agency or bank or such) is really overstated, have you ever seen a hypervisor compromised such that it is likely to kill pfsense? I havent

JimPhreak

Oct 10, 2013
I've run pfSense both in a VM and physical for extended periods of time over the past 1-2 years and I've seen no noticeable difference at all between the two setups.

Reactions: Keljian

OBasel

Dec 28, 2010
We've been using pfSense in Hyper-V for a branch office and it works fine.

Sep 22, 2015
Also chiming in to say I'm running PFsense on esxi using a rangely platform. The machine is mostly dedicated to PFSense, I just put my vcenter instance on there to piggyback on the free ram. It runs without any issues, and has been much faster and more stable on my 200/20 connection than my ASUS dedicated router.