pfSense 2.4-Release Milestone for the Popular Firewall Platform

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
It is great that 2.4 have been released, hopefully that makes us one step closer to QAT acceleration.

Are you sure about this?

The block diagram suggests that the SoC has a MAC that connects to a Realtek PHY.
Perhaps you are thinking about the XU3/4 where the NIC is indeed USB 3 based?
Right - got the two platforms confused. In any case, a Realtek PHY directly off the SoC is still going to be far better than what you will get on the RPi.

RyC

Oct 17, 2013
I updated my virtualized (ESXi) home installation and immediately ran into kernel errors upon trying to mount the filesystem during the boot process. This happened every two out of three boot attempts or so, and sometimes it would boot normally. I ended up doing a clean install (and restored config via xml) and used the SATA controller instead of the LSI Logic Parallel controller. It appears to boot successfully every time now (fingers crossed)

Reactions: gigatexal

Icevirt

Dec 29, 2013
Looks like this is the issue: Bug #7925: VT race condition panic at boot on ESXi 6.5.0U1 and FreeBSD 11.1 base - pfSense - pfSense bugtracker

So changing disk controllers probably has nothing to do with it. The issue is fixed in 2.4.1 but just a heads up for everyone running pfSense on ESXi until then!
It's not just esxi but kvm as well. If you have a CD-ROM attached remove it and reboot and the high cpu and memory usages from bsnmpd will disappear until they merge the patch.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Reactions: T_Minus

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I do not see a 2.4.1 release avail for my pfSense VM's...yet...should they be there?

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
I do not see a 2.4.1 release avail for my pfSense VM's...yet...should they be there?
I’m guessing different devices hit different mirrors. One of mine showed the update was available, but the other only showed 2.4.0.

Give it Time.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Just a note, if you are still only seeing ver 2.4.0 showing as available, try changing the update settings from stable to development to next version etc, saving each time and then checking again for available upgrades. Don't install anything yet, just check. I had to cycle through a couple of times, then 2.4.1 finally popped up as being available on the stable release. Also, when it does finally show up, don't just upgrade from the upgrade page, go back to the home screen, wait for the check again, and then take the link. If you try to upgrade from the upgrade settings page after it first finds it, if fails for some odd reason, well it did for me. The upgrade took all of 2 mins and was painless, so far so good!

Also, before you do the upgrade, I suggest taking a backup and if you have it virtualised, also take a snapshot...might save those skid marks if it happens to go pear shaped on you ;):D

Anyway, I hope that helps someone :)

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
I'm going to wait for a little longer this time around as I'm still healing from the wounds from last upgrade. :)

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

bateau

Jan 22, 2017
Just updated. Anyone else running this on esxi know what this message is about (on the esxi web console, running latest version of both esxi and pfsense, latest patch level)?

"The configured guest OS (FreeBSD (64-bit)) for this virtual machine does not match the guest that is currently running (FreeBSD 11.1-RELEASE-p2). You should specify the correct guest OS to allow for guest-specific optimizations. "

Will ignore it for now, will probably be addressed in an upcoming update.