1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pfSense 2.4-Release Milestone for the Popular Firewall Platform

Discussion in 'STH Main Site Posts' started by Rohit Kumar, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Rohit Kumar

Rohit Kumar Guest

Geran likes this.
  2. MiniKnight

MiniKnight Well-Known Member

So ARM is now on the official stable release? We got one of those SG-1000's. The comment in this article is spot on. We're using ours as the firewall for a Raspberry Pi 3 cluster. ARM end-to-end and under 30W.

Does this mean I can use the RPi3 as pfSense now? Or only Netgate supported?

Geran likes this.
  3. ttabbal

ttabbal Active Member

Good timing for me. I should be receiving some SSD boot drives today to replace the aging laptop HDDs I have in a few boxes. I like the ability to use ZFS as well, even without redundancy, at least I get some warning of issues.

It looks like I should be able to take a backup on the existing machine, install fresh on a new ZFS, restore the config on the new version.

4. PigLover

PigLover Moderator

Should be a yes. But just because you can doesn't mean you should...

In addition to just being 100mbit, RPi3 uses USB2.0 to Ethernet Bridge to support the Ethernet port. Because of that networking is pretty impaired (not likely to reach full wire speed, will be PPS limited on small packets, and bi-directional traffic may be troublesome).

The SG-1000, OTOH, uses separate USB3.0 port from the ARM SoC for the Ethernet bridge for each GigE port. On a pure throughput basis should be able to hit 960kbps (almost 1Gb) pretty easily. Processing the packet filters on the little SoC will obviously prevent full-rate pfSense traffic - but at least you aren't "fighting the wire" like you would be with the RPi3.

BTW, the Odroid C2 also uses the USB3.0 port for its GigE Ethernet bridge. So if you want pfSense in an RPi form factor there is a path. Assuming, of course, you can get BSD/pfSense to load on the Odroid. The Odroid XU4 might make a good choice too - but the kinda odd Big/Little core design might make BSD/pfSense support even more difficult.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  5. Biren78

Biren78 Active Member

I was reading the release notes and it sounds like there's only 2 ARM supported boxes now that netgate sells.

It'll prob work, but you'll be in the abyss of support. You've gotta value your time more than troubleshooting boot errors for hours to save a few bucks.

6. moblaw

moblaw Member

Just upgraded from pre official 2.3.4 - 2.4 it took approx. 15min - with 2 ssd's in raid0. Some install takes place upon reboot, besides that, everything went smooth. Had to restart 2 services, snort and haproxy. AES-NI now shows in system info. (Hyper-VM machine) 7 vcpu.

PigLover likes this.
  7. PigLover

PigLover Moderator

What host platform?

8. gigatexal

gigatexal I'm here to learn

SSDs in raid0 on your firewall? Crazy!

What's this about 802.11 improvements? Are we finally getting AC support?

9. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

If your firewall goes down, it is always a bad day.

nthu9280 likes this.
  10. Limeray

Limeray New Member

Is anyone else having unusually high cpu and memory utilization? Before the update pfSense was always idling on 5-10% cpu and 500 mb ram and now it constantly uses 60% cpu and 2gb (98%) of ram.

gigatexal likes this.
  11. moblaw

moblaw Member

I also do see higher CPU usage, it peaks around 60%, before it would peak at 35% ish. Memory is the same.

12. nthu9280

nthu9280 Active Member

Couldn't agree more... Speaking from my recent experience. At least mine was home use only.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

13. StevenDTX

StevenDTX Active Member

I deployed a 2.4 VM last night and it's working well. I will be working off of it for a couple weeks while I RMA my SuperMicro board for the C2000 fix.

14. Limeray

Limeray New Member

Apparently it was the SNMP service for me. Once i disabled it, the cpu usage was back to normal. Still the memory consumption is quite high.

15. Mam89

Mam89 New Member

I was playing with the idea of deploying a pfsense in a cost conscious customer location, but upon testing the squid/squidguard packets were pretty broken for me... If they can fix that I'd love to use it as openvpn is great!

16. MiniKnight

@Limeray are you using ZFS for storage? That uses memory right?

@Mam89 any idea why? We've got many people here and there's many on pfSense forums with that setup.

17. Mam89

Mam89 New Member

I'm not really sure honestly. It could easily be a misconfig on my part as I set it up off some older documentation. The issue would occure with ssl dpi enabled with squidguard, I got it functional after intial setup, but any addition of blacklists or changed/customized setting for blocks would block everything. Upon reversion of the settings it would stay blocked for some reason. The only way to get traffic flowing again was the removal entirely of both squid/squidguard.

18. MiniKnight

I find when that happens to me, I'm usually the root cause :D

Mam89 likes this.
  19. Patrick

Patrick Administrator
    Staff Member

Upgraded a lab node to 2.4. Working well thus far.

Mam89 and PigLover like this.
  20. RTM

RTM Active Member

It is great that 2.4 have been released, hopefully that makes us one step closer to QAT acceleration.
    Are you sure about this?

The block diagram suggests that the SoC has a MAC that connects to a Realtek PHY.
    Perhaps you are thinking about the XU3/4 where the NIC is indeed USB 3 based?