pfSense 2.4.4 Makes pfSense Gold Available to All

Discussion in 'STH Main Site Posts' started by Rohit Kumar, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Rohit Kumar

Rohit Kumar Guest

2. fohdeesha

fohdeesha Kaini Industries

Maybe a bit of a hail mary during all the opnsense "competition"? (or maybe an apology for gonzopanchos behavior in public lately)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
    StevenDTX and whitey like this.
  3. Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

Seems they try to push all towards their own hardware really.

4. mstone

mstone Active Member

yes, they seem to have decided that's their way forward. (which seems insane, but whatever.)

fohdeesha likes this.
  5. Mam89

Mam89 Member

I'm personally moving away from pfSense, because the documentation, although available, is so widely dispersed and outdated it makes for a horrible experience. I've gotten more from the Proxmox forums than pfSense's forums, which is saying something.

Another reason is the lack of real IDS/IPS integration in the "free" product, and at most minimal in even the paid version. The competition is getting fierce in these arenas now as cloud integration/offloading makes up for weaker onsite equipment.

If they can get their customer service and maintenance documentation together than I'll be more than willing to give them a shot for simple firewall and OpenVPN usage, not much else that they deliver now that others don't.

6. cesmith9999

cesmith9999 Well-Known Member

What are you going to?

Chris

7. Mam89

Mam89 Member

I've got quite a bit of MSP experience, so lots of sprinkled units at many many locations.

In that environment I've gone through so many I'm having a hard time remembering each brand. The last two shops I worked at standardized on Sonicwalls... And I hate them. Almost identical issues with setup/management as pfsense (time consuming and bulky).

We're playing with Sophos (what I just switched to on my home network) and Meraki (expensive).