pfSense 2.4.1 and X553 NICs (C3758 SoC)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kenneth

Oct 1, 2014
Hi!

Isn’t pfSense 2.4(.1) based on FreeBSD 11.0 supposed to work out of the box with X553 NICs? I’m running a A2SDi-8C-HLN4F (C3758 SoC) with 4 GbE ports.

In my case pfSense does not detect any interfaces. I tried installing the driver manually but being a complete Unix noob this is an uphill battle.

Any tips or suggestions?

(Proxmox VE 5.0/5.1 detected the NICs without issue, and I could run pfSense in a VM which is what I want to do, but I had a throughput issue and I’m trying to narrow down the cause, which is why I would like to try a bare metal install)

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Hi!

Isn’t pfSense 2.4(.1) based on FreeBSD 11.0 supposed to work out of the box with X553 NICs? I’m running a A2SDi-8C-HLN4F (C3758 SoC) with 4 GbE ports.

In my case pfSense does not detect any interfaces. I tried installing the driver manually but being a complete Unix noob this is an uphill battle.

Any tips or suggestions?

(Proxmox VE 5.0/5.1 detected the NICs without issue, and I could run pfSense in a VM which is what I want to do, but I had a throughput issue and I’m trying to narrow down the cause, which is why I would like to try a bare metal install)
If you search on the forums / our Twitter you will find we tried this and it does not work. The Netgate folks are working on it targeting pfSense 2.4.3 I believe.

Kenneth

Oct 1, 2014
Bummer. Thanks for the info. The only threads I could search up on the forums were from before 2.4 and I thought the adoption of FreeBSD 11.0 in 2.4 would enable it.

Kenneth

Oct 1, 2014
Unrelated to the issue of X553 support in pfSense as of 2.4.1, I just wanted to post my findings regarding the throughput issue in case anyone happens to experience a similar issue. Being unable to install pfSense bare metal on my server, I instead tried a different hypervisor:

My broadband connection is 100/20 mbps. I'm running my cable modem in bridge mode. Connected directly to a PC I'm getting the advertised speeds. With pfSense running in Proxmox VE 5.0/5.1 I'm getting very slow download speeds, like 2/20 mbps instead of 100/20. With pfSense running in a VM on Windows Server 1709 I'm getting advertised speeds. So it seems it's some sort of configuration issue in Proxmox.