pfSense 2.3 Released!

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.
P

Patrick Kennedy

Today the pfSense project announced a major release. pfSense 2.3 brings us a slew up feature updates and back-end updates. The most visible is the new Boostrap based UI which is easy to use on mobile devices

The post pfSense 2.3 Released! appeared first on ServeTheHome - Server and Workstation Reviews.

Related posts:
  1. pfSense 2.2.6 released with new security and bug fixes
  2. pfsense 2.2 Released! Major new version
  3. How to setup Wi-Fi with pfSense
  4. pfSense SG-4860 6 month review – A great firewall/ router combo

Continue reading...

Reactions: Yamabushi

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Very excited about this release.

I was never able to get the supported reverse-proxy tools (squid/squid3) to operate the way I wanted them to so I ended up standing up a separate reverse-proxy VM running Nginx and using port forwarding rules in pfSense to push external traffic to it. This always offended my artistic sensibilities :). Now with Nginx running as the HTTP engine of pfSense I should be able to get the reverse proxy running directly on pfSense.

Very happy. Small things seem to please me these days. I guess I really am getting old.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
Upgraded my secondary node as a test. Overall it looks and feels pretty nice. One big downside for me is bandwidthd is not supported yet so I think I'll wait to upgrade my primary node until then.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
They removed a bunch of old/ not maintained packages it seems.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
There is a post from December that implies they might bring it back when they have time but we all know how often we find spare time at work :)

In the spirit of trying to move forward does anyone have a decent solution for tracking bandwidth usage by host in pfsense?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Hey all - just so you know - I upgraded one of the units from 2.2.6 to 2.3. It had been using FreeRADIUS for OpenVPN authentication. The FreeRADIUS service will not start.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
The pfSense team said they are on the FreeRADIUS issue.

sthsep

Mar 7, 2016
RRD-Graphs seems to be moved to Status / Monitoring. But I can't find the total traffic for a specific period anymore :/
Anyone know how do I find them?

EluRex

Apr 28, 2015
Los Angeles, CA
The upgrade is flawless for me.... I guess I use LDAP for auth and also all my firewall nodes already convert to PFSense from draytek&fortigate already

DavidRa

Infrastructure Architect
Aug 3, 2015
Central Coast of NSW
www.pdconsec.net
FYI if you're updating on Hyper-V, change /etc/fstab - any references to /dev/ad***** need to be changed to /dev/da***** (just swap the first two letters). It's due to a change in device naming from FreeBSD 10.1 to 10.3, I believe.

If you don't do it before the restart, you'll get to a mountroot> prompt - tell it to boot from the updated form of whatever failed - I think by default 99% of instances will be /dev/da0s1a.

Edit: I've had several unexpected restarts since the upgrade, no obvious causes either.

Last edited:
Reactions: Keljian

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
On the FreeRADIUS package not starting issue. The pfsense guys sent me a fix:

From Diag>Command
Run
Code:
rm /tmp/radiusd_start.lock
Then save something in your FreeRADIUS config to start it, or start from Status>Services.