Performance hit for Intel systems on the way...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Even new scalable line and older cpu ‘can’ be slower, all depends on the products in use , unless you run certain databases or have some specific heavy io patterns likely you won’t notice.

eva2000

Apr 15, 2013
Brisbane, Australia
centminmod.com
Spectre, Meltdown: Most PCs will get slower because of the chip flaw fix

So does that mean almost all our beloved v1, v2, v3, and some v4 will be significantly slowed? ;(

well, amd isn't completely spared either if they start to get bsod..... oh well, time to buy more intel and amd stocks soon...
depends on work loads i.e. ones with alot of system calls will be impacted

FYI, Phoronix benchmarked KPTI + Retpoline on Ubuntu both Apache and Nginx and saw around 21-26% performance impact for Nginx using apachebench The Combined Impact Of Retpoline + KPTI On Ubuntu Linux - Phoronix.

I tested Centmin Mod Nginx with Siege bench on i7 4790K on CentOS 7.4 with KPTI only Kernel and got around 5.5% performance impact https://community.centminmod.com/th...nux-kernel-kpti-meltdown-spectre-fixes.13694/

Cressonnette

Dec 4, 2016

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Is it public knowledge that there is a firmware update for HPE gen9/gen10 hardware (ie E5 v3 onwards) and assume one planned for gen8 (E5 v1/2) but not g7’s

Has anybody been implementing this along with the software patches for ESX.

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
I would be quite interested how much patching will affect fabrics/network performance, both 40GbE and Infiniband.
I have the bad feeling this could be similar to what happens with IO.