Perc H710 Mini to IT mode

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dcol

Jul 13, 2020
Is there a way to just load the stock LSI IR firmware? I have an H710p, full size, that is not able to run 4Kn drives. From what I read, the stock LSI cards can use 4Kn sector drives. I think Dell has a firmware restriction to block these 4Kn drives. I have HGST 8TB 4Kn drives that only have 918GB available with the stock Dell firmware.

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
Is there a way to just load the stock LSI IR firmware? I have an H710p, full size, that is not able to run 4Kn drives. From what I read, the stock LSI cards can use 4Kn sector drives. I think Dell has a firmware restriction to block these 4Kn drives. I have HGST 8TB 4Kn drives that only have 918GB available with the stock Dell firmware.
Try updating the firmware from dell’s site pretty sure they support 4k drives on the later updates.
Strike that
Now that i think again i dont think any of the controller prior to PERC9 support 4k.

dcol

Jul 13, 2020
But what if I load the stock LSI IR firmware? I have eight of these 8TB 4Kn drives. Can I pop in a different controller? I know the H730's should work, but the cabling is different.

dcol

Jul 13, 2020
Does anyone know if using 4Kn drives with the H710 is just a firmware restriction with the Dell version? Can the equivalent LSI card use 4Kn drives?
If not, can anyone recommend a drop in replacement? Has anyone tried using an H730 with a cable adapter?

krisden

Nov 30, 2020
Hello, first BIG thanks to who permits all peoples (like me :D) to be able to use one Perch H710-D1 (PE T320) in IT mode.
Need this stuff to install Promox-6 raid-10 zfs ; in addition, I've to flash the controller with x64 blob to be able to boot the system.
PVE related => I added a 15 delay in
Code:
ZFS_INITRD_PRE_MOUNTROOT_SLEEP
otherwise delay was not sufficient...
SMACK ;)

Dave Corder

Dec 21, 2015
Hey @fohdeesha, do you happen to know how to program the board name? I have a 9206-16e that is now coming up as a SAS9207-8i after doing a -e 6 erase and re-flash. Is that a function of the firmware image, or something that can be set via lsiutil or something? Not a big deal, but I'd like to fix it if possible.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Hey @fohdeesha, do you happen to know how to program the board name? I have a 9206-16e that is now coming up as a SAS9207-8i after doing a -e 6 erase and re-flash. Is that a function of the firmware image, or something that can be set via lsiutil or something? Not a big deal, but I'd like to fix it if possible.
as I think you figured out in your other thread, it's tied to what firmware image you flash. if you want it to enumerate as a 9206-16e, you'll need to flash the 9206-16e image

Reactions: Sleyk and amp88

robot468

Jul 2, 2022
Hello. @fohdeesha, Thank you so much for the firmware for H710 - it greatly helps me.
Maybe you know, is there same order of disks in which they are provided to the system? For me it seems completely random.
I have 2 SSD in rear r720xd slots, and 4 HDD in front slots. My system detects it in oder:
ssd1
hdd3
ssd2
hdd2
hdd4
hdd1

UPD: I found this about mapping(in attach). Is it relevant for this firmware?

Attachments

Last edited:

Jainesh

May 23, 2019
Hi Everyone,
I recently got R720XD with PERC H310 Mini/Mono. I am using non-dell drives, so it shows up as a blocked state. These drives were 520 Bytes, and have been formatted as 512 Bytes.

I need to use the rear drives as RAID1 while keeping the other drive as JBOD.

So IT mode won't work for me. Is it possible to change PERC H310 into LSI IR Firmware? Can this be added to the script? Or if someone has an ISO I can use to get this flashed that way?

gseeley

Mar 3, 2018
Thanks for the excellent guide and tools @fohdeesha !

I used them to flash a H710 (BIG D1) I got for $40.

PS. No issues using the tools on a Supermicro X10 system.