Peformances problem using Resolve with folder on Omnios ZFS server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RonanR

Jul 27, 2018
I'm quite stuck with a very annoying problem.
I got a share server based on OmniOS 151030. When I try to export several video files from DaVinci Resolve, each time a file needs to be created, it takes something like 10 seconds to create it with around 400Ko on it, and then Resolve fills it at several hundreads of MB/s. Only the file creation process is extremely low.
If I run AJA System Test, BlackMagic Design speed test, or do a simple copy of many files at the same time, I don't have this problem at all.
If I set my export folder on any other NAS system I got (Qnap, Synology or simple Windows share), I don't have this strange behavior at all.
I tested many ZFS parameters, like enabling/disable arc and l2arc, changing recordsize deactivate nbmand and nfs, etc., but I really don't know what can cause this.
FYI sync is disabled. In case of, I even tested with sync enable and an Optane 900p as ZIL device, but I got the same problem.
I also tried this on another OmniOS server (also in 151030, fitted with 96GB of memory and an Optane 900p as L2arc), and they have the exact same behavior.
This make me think of a parameters to set somewhere but I'm still searching for it.
Does anyone have an idea of what can cause this?

RonanR

Jul 27, 2018
Hi Gea,
Thanks a lot for your insight!
Oplock were already disabled, like in you command (oplock_enable=false) and like it was suggested on the serverfault post.
I set it to true to enable them and now it's working flawlessly!
Once again, many thanks

RonanR

Jul 27, 2018
After a full day of use, it seems that enabling oplocks was a bad idea as it induced a latency on many other programs.
So I'm quite stuck here. I don't know why Resolve needs oplocks enabled to work, while it's a problem for many others software...
As it's a server wide option, I can't activate it only for some shares.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
You can try
- limit SMB to SMB1
- try 151031 with SMB3 (you can update from 151030 to bloody and optionally go back via BE)

RonanR

Jul 27, 2018
@gea I can't use SMB for security and compatibility reasons. I'm going to try 151031 next week, and post my results
@DedoBOT Unfortunately Oplocks can't be deactivated at the client side for SMB > 1.
Another workaround for me is to use samba instead of native Solarish smb, as oplocks are shared based with samba instead of whole server based with Solarish smb. I have to do a lot of tests beforehand to be sure I don't lose too much performances.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
If you want to try SAMBA use the extra repo from OmniOS.
The newest SAMBA in joyent pkgin seems buggy, the former one is ok from what I have seen from smartos-discuss