PCIe Bifurcation in X10SDV-6C+-TLN4F

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
The board has 1 PCIe 3.0 x16 slot. Is there any way for me to split it to use 2 PCIe x8 cards? I need to add a HBA and a SFP+ NIC.

brinox

May 7, 2013
Check the BIOS, I remember seeing something in there about PCI Express Bifurcation. However, be aware that it may only be x4x4x4x4, and not x8x8.

Likewise, this board may only support Supermicro branded expansion boards that are designed to utilize SM bifurcation.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Depending on your card's requirements (i.e. if it they do not need necessarily PCIe 3.0 x8) then you can convert the M.2 slot back into a PCIe 3.0 x4 slot (if you are not using it) which is basically a PCIe 2.0 x8

Reactions: K D

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Thanks @Rand__. Not sure how I missed that post. Is definitely helpful. That helps. I'll add to the never ending list of things to try.

K D

Dec 24, 2016
@Rand__ can you point me to an M.2 to U.2 adapter? Addl question - if you use the adapter to connect a U.2 nvme drive, will you be able to pass it through to a VM?

I'm hoping you or someone else can give me a positive response to both. It will mean I can use an existing board for an AIO Home server.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I''d recommend the regular MSI adapter since it has the correct length for that board I believe. Gigabyte (which I have) is too short, ASUS doesnt work outside ASUS boards (at least not mine, didnt work on this board)

Have not tried the non Mainboard supplier ones (startech etc which can be found on ebay)

And yes, the adapter is invisible to the OS, and no issues with passing through

Reactions: Evan

anomaly

Jan 8, 2018
Resurrecting this, the M.2 socket in the X10SDV-7TP4F is SATA only I think, is this correct?

I'm looking for bifurcation solutions to fit in my Chenbro case, so I can have maybe a NVMe SSD and an extra NIC.

nev_neo

Jul 31, 2013
Resurrecting this, the M.2 socket in the X10SDV-7TP4F is SATA only I think, is this correct?

I'm looking for bifurcation solutions to fit in my Chenbro case, so I can have maybe a NVMe SSD and an extra NIC.
I have the X10SDV-7TP4F with the Xeon-D 1537 processor. It has both an msata option as well as m.2.
I havent updated the BIOS as yet, but i've read that with version 1.2 both the x8 slots bifurcate to x4+x4.
Need to update my BIOS to verify.

anomaly

Jan 8, 2018
I will double check.

I have the same model.

Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X10SDV-7TP4F

It says "Support SATA devices" but I guess it is not just M.2 SATA... maybe a confusing choice of words in that context?

BTW, what power consumption are you observing in idle and half loads with your setup (and what does it look like)? I'm trying to size the PSU for my build. Also looked into bifurcation cards, not sure what is available that allows me to use the half-height slots in my case while mounting the riser on the unused ATX MB posts/stands, if that works.

anomaly

Jan 8, 2018
I have the X10SDV-7TP4F with the Xeon-D 1537 processor. It has both an msata option as well as m.2.
I havent updated the BIOS as yet, but i've read that with version 1.2 both the x8 slots bifurcate to x4+x4.
Need to update my BIOS to verify.
Bifurcation not working for me yet, something is off :-(
I picked the right slot using the quick ref. card. Upgrading to 2.0c to see if that helps.