PCIE 3 x8 adapter for OCP 2.0 cards - $18

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
All of my stuff is old. The newest MB I have is a X10DRH-CT. The only reason I have it is I lucked out. The oldest is a X7DWU. No idead why I still keep it around other than the fact that it still works flawlessly. I have 5 X8 servers, a few X9 and a few X10.

Everything dies eventually, including us. The trick is to enjoy what you have while you have it. Live for today and don't worry about tomorrow.

Dust in the wind. All we are is dust in the wind.
Me too. I think my oldest are lga771 based like your X7DWU. They do the jobs I want them to, so not worried about them since I got them dirt cheap/free. Newest I have is v0 2011 so you're light years ahead of me. But you're probably doing much more than me as well. I haven't even setup my proxmox 5 yet.

Yes we do, and I know it's right around the corner. I'm laissez-faire until someone messes with me or what I want. I can't have nice quality things anymore due to cheap chinese crap being dumped for the purpose of destroying the companies I want to buy stuff from. And it would be one thing if it was just a one-time event, but with a 2050 initiative to take over the whole world, there's a darkness coming that I think a lot of people don't want to be a part of, myself included.

Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Me too. I think my oldest are lga771 based like your X7DWU. They do the jobs I want them to, so not worried about them since I got them dirt cheap/free. Newest I have is v0 2011 so you're light years ahead of me. But you're probably doing much more than me as well. I haven't even setup my proxmox 5 yet.

Yes we do, and I know it's right around the corner. I'm laissez-faire until someone messes with me or what I want. I can't have nice quality things anymore due to cheap chinese crap being dumped for the purpose of destroying the companies I want to buy stuff from. And it would be one thing if it was just a one-time event, but with a 2050 initiative to take over the whole world, there's a darkness coming that I think a lot of people don't want to be a part of, myself included.
I suspect we won't be around to see the worst of it so lets just enjoy what we have while we can.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I suspect we won't be around to see the worst of it so lets just enjoy what we have while we can.
Unfortunately I probably will be, so I gotta do what I can. Either that or live fast and die fast, but that's not my thing either.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
I can't have nice quality things anymore due to cheap chinese crap being dumped for the purpose of destroying the companies I want to buy stuff from. And it would be one thing if it was just a one-time event, but with a 2050 initiative to take over the whole world, there's a darkness coming that I think a lot of people don't want to be a part of, myself included.
This is my kinda humor.
Just pure garbage that is not true but its an amusing read.

Crap products is not limited to china.
Crap products is due to... making crap products, you get that from most parts of the world.

Beyond the customs declaration you are not able to tell the diffrence if a product made in China vs Germany/America.
And to make a identical product Germany/America is not even close to being able to do the Chinese cost.

Neither is it china that has driven majority of production to china, that is the western world and its still actively doing it at full speed.

But if you think China is bad when it comes to selling crap... take a look at the US when it comes to what is acceptable of bait and switch, deception or just fraud within the trade platforms.
The US today is what China was 20years ago when it comes to rules/control/enforcement.
Wish would be the prime example.

Last edited:

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
This is my kinda humor.
Just pure garbage that is not true but its an amusing read.

Crap products is not limited to china.
Crap products is due to... making crap products, you get that from most parts of the world.

Beyond the customs declaration you are not able to tell the diffrence if a product made in China vs Germany/America.
And to make a identical product Germany/America is not even close to being able to do the Chinese cost.

Neither is it china that has driven majority of production to china, that is the western world and its still actively doing it at full speed.

But if you think China is bad when it comes to selling crap... take a look at the US when it comes to what is acceptable of bait and switch, deception or just fraud within the trade platforms.
The US today is what China was 20years ago when it comes to rules/control/enforcement.
Wish would be the prime example.
Head in the sand, head in the sand...

They aren't, but it's part of a larger plan for china.

You can't tell the difference because everything is made in china as the domestic manufacturing was outsourced long ago and is nearly non-existent today.

As far as cost, you can now because the 'true cost' of dealing with China is starting to be factored in--bait and switch unless watching qa like a hawk, IP theft at every turn, and more--all of these having a cost that once you factor it in, while the cost advantage may still be there in the interim you are going to lose long term.

The only reason it is being driven now is because of raw cost, but not 'total cost' as I outlined above. Any company looking at total cost is second guessing and even some major players are reconsidering what they are doing there.

What trade plaforms are you referring to? I'd like to see them because that's not right either. If you're talking about Wish, it's another terrible business made by some unethical people who want to make money from the chinese dump. A 'get rich quick scheme' in a sense with no real long term goal other than to probably sell out at a billion dollars and then go buy an island somewhere. The ability for these companies to exist, quickly make money and get out is a fundamental problem. Without a solution or repercussions, it only encourages it.

I agree that the US is turning third world due to the lack of enforcement, and it's also alarming. My father immigrated here because he couldn't stand that in India and now that same crap is creeping here too. Without rule of law, the US will turn into another third world dump full of all the same problems--lack of safety, due process, mass corruption, and more. And the chinese plan to then sweep in with their 'great' way of living and take over everything as some sort of savior. As of right now, the whole plan is right on target from a defense consultant I know.

I think if domestic production started up again and the cord was cut to china, there would initially be a lot of growing pains as business models pivot and re-organize. And with that will come higher prices. But as capitalism kicks back in again and people use innovation to fuel efficiency, we will see prices come back down to maybe 110% of what they are right now. And I wouldn't mind that extra 10% since it will stabilize the things I value. In terms of homelab the prices would probably even right where they are, except with a lot more domestic companies like Unicomp specializing in a niche.

bob_dvb

Sep 7, 2018
Not quite London
www.orbit.me.uk
I wish I could find the reverse adapter - an adapter to connect a regular pcie card into an OCP mezz slot...
I've got a couple of the Dual Xeon-D boards that I would love to use with custom cards.
I bought adapters to do this from Taobao and sold them on here a while back. I don't think I have anymore because I sold what I had when I got rid of my dual Xeon-D Akamai board.

The process of ordering from Taobao was really complicated, involving a forwarding agent because it's a Chinese only site.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
I'm totally confused by the thread name: OCP 2.0 to PCIE 3 x8 It's not. It's PCIe3 x8 to OCP 2.0. And yes, for someone having a motherboard with OCP port and looking for an adapter to get an additional PCIe 3 x8 out of it, that's a huuuuge difference.

Last edited:

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
What trade plaforms are you referring to? I'd like to see them because that's not right either. If you're talking about Wish, it's another terrible business made by some unethical people who want to make money from the chinese dump.
Wish is US made, owned and operated.
With americans/europeans scamming eachother and either just not deliver at all or dropship something else so they can claim they delivered.

They allow accounts with fake names to directly start operating and get paid directly without escrow, it would not be accepted anywhere but in the US.
But calling out bad US practices does not really help anything, i just find it amusing that the platform that most call the worst example of chinese trade is fully american.

My point is that from a technical aspect you are just repeating lies and popular false opinions, that we all know you will never research or be willing to abandon.
While its completely fine for you overall to have those political/nationalistic views, unless it actually ties into a technical aspect it does not have a relevance here.

There are many longrunning threads on here with great summaries in technical info/sources for the products.
But that is also the topic, the technical aspect about products and not how you feel about politics.
When you start shitting on a product segment/design you have shown you do not understand, to then start blaming that on politican opinions makes no sense.

Nowhere in the world are large run products made in some garage.
Its the same ISO certified production lines/enviroments/tooling regardles if its germany,poland,america or china.
For somebody to mismatch components and cause component damage due to that is a technical compatability issue, its not a political issue.

I apologize for the part I played in derailing this thread.
Id say you have no part, he posts his views like this on the regular.
While its bad of me/him to burn this thread to the ground, at some point it just needs to be confronted and the longrunning damage from it stopped.

Political is touchy and it stops so many threads/discussions on here when he adds it to the table.

bbqdt

Sep 15, 2019
Got one of the full ones, works fine with connectx4-lx 50gb

Last edited:

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Wish is US made, owned and operated.
With americans/europeans scamming eachother and either just not deliver at all or dropship something else so they can claim they delivered.

They allow accounts with fake names to directly start operating and get paid directly without escrow, it would not be accepted anywhere but in the US.
But calling out bad US practices does not really help anything, i just find it amusing that the platform that most call the worst example of chinese trade is fully american.

My point is that from a technical aspect you are just repeating lies and popular false opinions, that we all know you will never research or be willing to abandon.
While its completely fine for you overall to have those political/nationalistic views, unless it actually ties into a technical aspect it does not have a relevance here.

There are many longrunning threads on here with great summaries in technical info/sources for the products.
But that is also the topic, the technical aspect about products and not how you feel about politics.
When you start shitting on a product segment/design you have shown you do not understand, to then start blaming that on politican opinions makes no sense.

Nowhere in the world are large run products made in some garage.
Its the same ISO certified production lines/enviroments/tooling regardles if its germany,poland,america or china.
For somebody to mismatch components and cause component damage due to that is a technical compatability issue, its not a political issue.

Id say you have no part, he posts his views like this on the regular.
While its bad of me/him to burn this thread to the ground, at some point it just needs to be confronted and the longrunning damage from it stopped.

Political is touchy and it stops so many threads/discussions on here when he adds it to the table.
That's basically what I said--doesn't matter who owns it. It's the way of doing business that's the problem.

When dealing with technology, it's important to have all the specs since we are dealing with other things with specs. When someone is lying about specs, inferior qc, bait and switch, it directly affects what we do here. Don't call it 'my opinion' when it is simply the facts of how things are right now, and mainly due to chinese manufacturing.

ISO certification is great when it's actually ISO and not some sort of fake ISO with a bait and switch--I know that in china and other shady parts of the world, quality isn't the same. In fact, anyone that has an eye for detail and purchases equipment from around the world can tell the difference.

Touting this garbage and allowing people to be burned by bad products, bad sellers, or simply improperly documented products also needs to be stopped--someone lost a nic in this thread for crying out loud. And supporting the cause of these type of problems needs to also be stopped. Political is touchy and I actually don't care for it at all. But when it affects what I can buy for what I want to do, I will point out the problems, just as you point out that there is supposedly no problem.

Reactions: gb00s

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Don't call it 'my opinion' when it is simply the facts of how things are right now, and mainly due to chinese manufacturing.
But it is your opinion/view, its not a fact.

In fact, anyone that has an eye for detail and purchases equipment from around the world can tell the difference.
Again just opinion along with a false claim.
Without pcb coloring or silkscreened indicators you would not be able to seperate something from seperate production lines/facilities running the same setup, regardless of what countries they are in.

ISO certification is great when it's actually ISO and not some sort of fake ISO with a bait and switch--
You are living in the 1990s if you belive that fake ISO or simular certification is still a large problem.
or that its ever been limited to "shady parts of the world".

i can only imagine how much more work it was to dealing with purchasing/production then compared to how easy we have it now.
With strict third party verification of training/facilities, how often it needs to be renewed now.

And how platforms now do a full validation before even letting them sell, including visiting ur factory at ur own cost etc

someone lost a nic in this thread for crying out loud.
And it had nothing to do with manufacturing, qc or china...

It comes down to a dropshipper/reseller having no idea what the items they sell are.
That has been pretty clear from the first post with descriptions not matching the models in pictures.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
But it is your opinion/view, its not a fact.

Again just opinion along with a false claim.
Without pcb coloring or silkscreened indicators you would not be able to seperate something from seperate production lines/facilities running the same setup, regardless of what countries they are in.

You are living in the 1990s if you belive that fake ISO or simular certification is still a large problem.
or that its ever been limited to "shady parts of the world".

i can only imagine how much more work it was to dealing with purchasing/production then compared to how easy we have it now.
With strict third party verification of training/facilities, how often it needs to be renewed now.

And how platforms now do a full validation before even letting them sell, including visiting ur factory at ur own cost etc

And it had nothing to do with manufacturing, qc or china...

It comes down to a dropshipper/reseller having no idea what the items they sell are.
That has been pretty clear from the first post with descriptions not matching the models in pictures.
It is a fact unless you're in denial.

Again, not correct.

Nope, this is from people who I know dealing with chinese manufacturing today and all the shady stuff there.

And all that validation needs to be done because of the bait and switch, which still happens regularly because if you turn your back, the cheating is back. It's a constant whack-a-mole game that has finally pushed a lot of companies to onshore and bring back their manufacturing since it's no longer worth the hassle.

Most people here are fairly intelligent and won't make rookie mistakes since this equipment isn't for kiddies. To not have proper documentation on the part sold here, touting it like it's some deal, and then having someone pop a card because of it would be enough cause for me to put at least a caution for those not initiated since the manufacturer doesn't and could care less. I highly doubt a company with integrity would do this knowing their product would cause harm. And I doubt almost any chinese company selling without documentation direct to schelps in the world has any characteristic resembling integrity.

You have mentioned that I've derailed this thread and yet you continue to post and do the same. So I tell you what, why not just take this to PMs? I don't even really see a point in that since we will not agree on points, but at least it will leave this thread alone.
i think the max i was able to get between 2 connectx3 cards with those adapters was about 6Gbit/sec
You may need to use the '-P 4' that the OP is using to get more parallel streams to max out the bandwidth.

Reactions: Semowett

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
(mod makes popcorn) Both sides are partly right here... keep it civil.

rant
There are massive QC problems right now, it is not limited to China, Most of it is coming from China, because they make most of the electronics...
I would love to watch Samir try and figure out which country a PCB came from. I don't see that as possible. You can get quality out of anywhere, it just requires proper QC... not a lot of that going on post covid anywhere it seems.

As someone deep inside the Enterprise hardware realm for 15+ years... Western companies have shot themselves in the foot. JVs are required to operate inside of China (joint venture) which requires CCP member on your payroll to report back to the govt. Western patents are simply not honored in China and Inspur looks like a glorious mashup of Cray/Dell/IBM I find it rather impressive of what could be made without patents. China's goals as a nation are not exactly secret and they are not friendly to the Western world. The West has used them for cheap labor, now they are taking advantage of the dependence.

So the cold hard facts are...
Bad products come from bad design and or bad QC, that can happen anywhere in the world but mainly happens in China because its mostly all made there... You do often get higher quality when made in Europe as those willing to pay the cost of higher manufacturing cost demand perfect QC. But like anything, it is volume, the more you make, the more bad apples you have.

I am not sure how Wish is still in busi, all they do is import knockoffs from China. (yes that is a fact, they even had a deal with ChinaMail)
That said, HPE/IBM/Foxconn (odms many many hyperscalers) made in China. You can get quality, you just have to pay 5% more for it.

And last but not least, you can dislike a regime without being prejudiced towards the people suffering under it.

We don't censor here, we clean up spam, if you later regret your words, clean them up yourself ;)
Now, to bring it back to topic...
I have avoided getting OCP cards for my gigabyte gpu servers due to unclear listings of cards...
Now I know they will go boom if I pick the wrong one, thank you cruzader.

Reactions: Samir

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
(mod makes popcorn) Both sides are partly right here... keep it civil.

rant
There are massive QC problems right now, it is not limited to China, Most of it is coming from China, because they make most of the electronics...
I would love to watch Samir try and figure out which country a PCB came from. I don't see that as possible. You can get quality out of anywhere, it just requires proper QC... not a lot of that going on post covid anywhere it seems.

As someone deep inside the Enterprise hardware realm for 15+ years... Western companies have shot themselves in the foot. JVs are required to operate inside of China (joint venture) which requires CCP member on your payroll to report back to the govt. Western patents are simply not honored in China and Inspur looks like a glorious mashup of Cray/Dell/IBM I find it rather impressive of what could be made without patents. China's goals as a nation are not exactly secret and they are not friendly to the Western world. The West has used them for cheap labor, now they are taking advantage of the dependence.

Bad products come from bad design and or bad QC, that can happen anywhere in the world but mainly happens in China because its mostly all made there... You do often get higher quality when made in Europe as those willing to pay the cost of higher manufacturing cost demand perfect QC. But like anything, it is volume, the more you make, the more bad apples you have.

I am not sure how Wish is still in busi, all they do is import knockoffs from China. (yes that is a fact, they even had a deal with ChinaMail)
That said, HPE/IBM/Foxconn (odms many many hyperscalers) made in China. You can get quality, you just have to pay 5% more for it.

And last but not least, you can dislike a regime without being prejudiced towards the people suffering under it.

We don't censor here, we clean up spam, if you later regret your words, clean them up yourself ;)
Now, to bring it back to topic...
I have avoided getting OCP cards for my gigabyte gpu servers due to unclear listings of cards...
Meanwhile, I am enjoying 25Gbit transfer rate from and to my NAS and doing it at a sweet deal of $25 per Connect-X 4 card. :D

Reactions: Patriot

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Both sides are partly right here... keep it civil.

Great insights that pretty much nails what I was trying to say. As far as finding out where a pcb came from, it would be easy because as you said most of it is coming from china and sloppy solder is sloppy solder. Also, most pcbs will say on them somewhere the country of origin, lol.

Yes, avoiding for going boom is a good thing. And it doesn't hurt that avoiding them also doesn't support 'not friendly to the Western world'.
Meanwhile, I am enjoying 25Gbit transfer rate from and to my NAS and doing it at a sweet deal of $25 per Connect-X 4 card. :D
Long live the chinese overlords...we pay you homage with our purchases...oh, bring your mighty way of doing things to the world and lift us out of darkness and into the light where ignorance is bliss until you cross a line and are eliminated overnight. o_O

[sing in style of Billy Joel]
We didn't start the covid, it was always burning since the world was turning...