PCI passthrough doesn't persist after host reboot

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

imbeta

Apr 9, 2015
Hi All,
Trying to set up a system to install a pfSense FW VM as guest with an Ethernet card pass-through-ed for WAN.
The host OS is Fedora 22, with KVM installed. I used this guide and got it to work, but it doesn't persist if I reboot the host.
Is this a bug or expected?
Any solutions/workarounds you can think of?
Thanks,

imbeta

Apr 9, 2015
Further testing...

Without detaching the card from the host and adding it to the guest in the XML file ( hostdev mode="subsystem" type="pci" managed="yes"> </hostdev>), the guest gets control over the card automatically and without first detaching from host.

However, if I then reboot the VM, the card is not detected.

If I reboot the host, and start the VM (without detaching card from host), it works again as expected.

So bottom lin, if the guest is rebooted, it'll lose control of the passthrough device and won't gain control over it again until I reboot the host.
Does it make sense?

imbeta

Apr 9, 2015
Found out what was happening.

My motherboard is a Supermicro MBD-X9SCM-F-O with dual ethernet ports: 1x Intel 82574L and 1x Intel 82579LM.
I was trying to passthrough the intel 82579LM, and couldn't make to survive a guest reboot. I switched to the other port, passing though the intel 82574L and it works a as charm.
So it wasn't a configuration/KVM issue but rather a NIC drivers one.

Reactions: T_Minus

vl1969

Feb 5, 2014
It could also be that one of the nics is on the same bus with ipmi and you can not pass through ipmi interface.

imbeta

Apr 9, 2015
It could be, but then it'd never work, right?
First time VM is started, passthrough works, the issue appears on VM reboots