Paying for someone to change the fans in my 1u PSUs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

EngineerNate

Jun 3, 2017
If your house burns down because a PSU that I modified to be quieter overheated and caught on fire, do you think your insurance company isn't going to come knocking on my door if they found out?

Marsh

May 12, 2013
If your house burns down because a PSU that I modified to be quieter overheated and caught on fire, do you think your insurance company isn't going to come knocking on my door if they found out?
Even the fire is not related to the PSU.

A junior lawyer cost approx $350 per hour, senior lawyer charge over $750 per hour.

When I email my lawyer a simple legal question, he or she charges me 15 min to reply.
If I asked a follow up question about email, it is another 15 min fee.

Do the math.

mmo

Sep 17, 2016
Mod PSU = play with fire. I rather swap out entire system if quietness is the most important thing to you.

laserpaddy

Jul 17, 2017
out there
before reitirement I have been a board-level component troubleshooter, repairer and analysis tech to a fortune 500 Co. Engineer Manager- get skype and with a phone call and video stream I can walk ya through it- I will encourage you to buy new - liability is upon the turner of the screws

kapone

May 23, 2015
I have a rackful of modified PSUs, DC-DC converters and whatnot. But that's me, mine and my liability. Would never do it for another person.

As an e.g. - These are modified DC-DC boards with HP power supplies in my SAN chassis. Wires have been snipped, sitting on adhesive spacers, soldered shorts and what not. They are perfectly safe, but again, I would never do it for another person.

Last edited:

EngineerNate

Jun 3, 2017
I have a rackful of modified PSUs, DC-DC converters and whatnot. But that's me, mine and my liability. Would never do it for another person.
I have stuff I've built from bare PBCs I feel comfortable having plugged in 24/7... I feel the same.

Prof_G

Jan 16, 2020
Before you modify the fans consider treating the adjacent walls or area with acoustic foam. Two things the foam rejects heat and absorbs noises.