Payback is a B**** for Intel - 7nm process is so broken its not even funny...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

traderjay

Mar 24, 2017
Time to pop some champagne - first I sold my Dual XEON platinum rig using the ancient process for more $$ than I paid over a year ago...which allowed me to fully fund my EPYC 64 core ROME rig. Second, Intel 7 nm process is so broken beyond repair.... when AMD launches Milan...thats when the fireworks will begin.

Why such a harsh title for the thread..thats what intel get for its anti-competitiveness behavior not too long ago that almost tanked AMD...Karma is now making rounds.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
While Intel may be in trouble or so it would look by the press the reality is still far from. Check the profit last quarter :-O
Intel still have things going for them, I guess we need to wait and see how it all works out in the next year or so.

good for AMD to make some money, a healthy market as you point out is not a monopoly.

while ARM has not exactly set the server world on fire it also still has potential to cause some upsets in certain spaces

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
While Intel may be in trouble or so it would look by the press the reality is still far from. Check the profit last quarter :-O
Intel still have things going for them, I guess we need to wait and see how it all works out in the next year or so.

good for AMD to make some money, a healthy market as you point out is not a monopoly.

while ARM has not exactly set the server world on fire it also still has potential to cause some upsets in certain spaces
Full disclosure: I possibly read one too many of Charlie Demerjian's posts.

This that out of the way, I agree with OP. Intel shady shit tactics of covertly damaging AMD sales did come around bit them back.
I am 100% convinced that Intel current issues stem from a very long history of a) why to fix what is not broken b) why to spend money in R&D if no one else is competing with us and c) this is bigger engineering/design issue: Why to change our CPU design significantly then we could just slap new magical instruction set (each word is a separate link)
As far as profits go: The vast majority of Intel "healthy" margins come from sales of servers. Unlike desktops, this isn't a rapidly shifting market and AMD has still plenty of battles vs Intel to gain even a relatively small 10% cut of this hugely profitable market. Intel isn't sitting tight and Cascade Lake refresh price cuts shown that Intel will do price wars vs AMD. That said, at least according to Charlie's insiders, the rumor mill says that Intel can't sustain such drastic margin cuts for very long as their bloated organization and extremely cash needy process R&D could cause havoc into Intel war chest if it continues to sell Xeons to stay price competitive to AMD.

traderjay

Mar 24, 2017
Of course they cannot sustain an all out price war with AMD. Over the years, they got comfortable charging insane prices to pad their exec compensation and share buybacks, plus sustaining a very bloated organization. Their gross margin is already shrinking as a result of the price war. AMD over the years ( I am ex AMD Alumnus) has learned how to operate lean and mean from battling with nvidia and Intel.