Patrick's 2021 Fiber Build-out

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
This is one that you are going to see on the main site over the rest of 2021. It is consuming a ton of time to plan and just get materials for. My goal is to go build something different and big so that way I can help give STH readers some inspiration on these items.

The project: Running (a lot of) fiber

Fiber Being Run

This is the fiber we have available as of now.

MTP-12 Spools Ready for September 2021 Install.jpg

All of this is MTP-12 and will be used for in-wall installation. A quick breakdown:
  • The 15x HPE spools on the left are OFNR LSZH OM4 50m spools
  • The six big teal spools are 96-fiber (8x MTP-12) ONFP OM4 spools
  • The six spools on the top right are OFNP OM4 100m spools
  • The five yellow spools are 144-fiber (12x MTP-12) ONFP OS2 spools
Just for some sense on why this was sourced from multiple vendors, here would be roughly the cost of this build-out using an unnamed online shop:
Unnamed Online Shop Cable Cost Yikes 800.jpg

The purpose of this build-out is to one get fiber to the two offices, the studio, and the server room. The other purpose, and this is quite important, is that I wanted to be able to do room-to-room direct networking without putting high-speed switches in the room. For example, in the YouTube studio, I did not want a 1U 100GbE switch. If I have something set up in my office, I wanted to be able to get a direct connection to another room easily. Sometimes we get new NICs, like a 200GbE NIC where we get two of them. Right now, I need both endpoints to be located next to one another. Scaling to four becomes a bigger challenge if they are in different rooms. This build-out effectively lets me have tons of fiber, and then manage connectivity in patch panels.

Again, given the number of devices at each location, putting 25/100GbE or 100GbE switches is cost-prohibitive from the initial purchase price standpoint as well as ongoing power and cooling costs. Further, when it comes time for the next upgrade cycle, it is cheaper to replace one switch than many.

Is this overboard, 100%. The original plan was to run 3x MM MTP-12 runs to five locations. Then I got a really good deal on the 144 fiber single-mode, and the 96 fiber multi-mode and so now those five locations are getting 240 fibers run to each.

Update 2021-09-16: We found a cable run that was too short for one of the big yellow single mode spools. Ordered a much longer one. The cable cost, had we used that unnamed vendor would have been $3,754.31. Instead dealing with a 2 day longer lead time to save around 90%. As a bonus, we can do another run with single-mode.

Key In-Wall Fiber Stats

Just for some sense of scale on the spools above, the plan is for:
  • 121 MTP-12 runs total, half single-mode and half multi-mode
  • 1,452 strands of fiber
  • 5.3km of bundles
  • 64km of individual fiber strands
Completely too much, unless you, for example, run a website called STH.

Update 2021-09-16: Due to the extra cable, the revised plan is:
  • 133 MTP-12 runs total, half single-mode and half multi-mode
  • 1,596 strands of fiber
  • 5.4km of bundles
  • 83km of individual fiber strands
Patch Panels

More on the patch panels soon. We are testing two different solutions that are rackmount solutions. What I *really* want is something more like this: Commscope FDH 3000 864 Port Quick Connect Indoor Fiber Distribution Cabinet | eBay

It is just out of the price range at the moment and even that one is not what I want.

Patch Cables

This is another area of a fairly large expense.

Wall Termination and Keystones

MTP keystones are very hard to get right now.

Switches

The actual goal and many are going to think I am crazy here, is to run the fiber network mostly off a single switch or at most two switches right now.

Something this build is really making me realize is that there are not a lot of good options for high-speed low-noise switches. 32x 100GbE switches are almost all 1U and therefore quite loud.

It feels to me like a decent business might be making switches for edge deployments that are perhaps 2-4U but are much quieter. A 1U 32x100GbE switch uses about as much power as a high-end desktop PC but screams.

Update 2021-09-16: Now have a Dell S5296F-ON 2U 96 port 25GbE + 8 port 100GbE 2U switch to test.

Optics

This is going to follow the switches. I currently have around 30 CWDM QSFP28 optics and have 30 SFP28 optics on order. I also have quite a few SR4 optics for multi-mode runs.

Test Equipment

Running anything at this scale basically requires that one does a lot of testing. Likely several Fluke products like the MultiFiber Pro. One of the challenges is that running both single-mode and multi-mode means that we need both the 850nm and 1310nm light sources plus the power meter, or something like the MFTK-MM850-SM1310 kit that runs ~$20K. The benefit of a kit like this is that it can test an MTP-12 cable in a single shot. Otherwise, there is a lot of time spent cleaning ends, getting reference points, and so forth.

The challenge will go well beyond the MTP-12 links in the walls. There also needs to be MTP-12 to LC cassettes so a MTP-12 cable can be split into six pairs. Not only do we need to test MTP, but we also need to test LC and that makes things extra challenging.

Update 2021-09-16:Looking more like we will be using Fluke test gear.

Stay Tuned

Hopefully, we will have fiber in the wall by Friday of next week. We are also doing a pretty solid set of re-wiring copper for more PoE+/PoE++ endpoints. I want to be able to test topologies of 6+ APs along with this. I also want to be able to have multiple camera feeds that we can use for video analytics / AI testing.

In case anyone missed the Plenum cable video, this is going to be an entire series that will run at least through 2021 on STH, but likely into 2022. Part of the reason this is so complex is just to have the infrastructure to do a ton of content. As great as 10Gbase-T is, for 25GbE and faster you certainly want fiber runs anywhere over ~10m. I think we have many STH readers asking for quieter infrastructure. When Rohit and I were doing the comparison, running a MTP-12 cable through a wall was ~2x the cost of the 2-fiber LC-LC cable but the real cost was in running each cable rather than the cables themselves. The basic premise is that instead of running a single LC-LC link between your office and rack and then needing a switch in the room, you can instead run MTP-12 and not need a loud switch that is using a lot of power in your office to service the two-strand back-haul.

MTP-12 is super cool, but also a bit scary. There are different fiber count MTP cables, one has to deal with polarity, male/ female plugs, couplers, cassettes, non-existent keystones and so forth. The payoff is that once it is set up, you get a ton of flexibility.

Update 2021-09-16: We should have some fiber in the wall by tomorrow, but we got delayed 1 day based on crew availability and then we pushed a day because of the long-run cable. That is the one to my office so it is one I have a big interest in seeing get run.

Last edited:

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Patrick, what's the problem with 1u switches, don't you have a dedicated server room with all that ultra noisy stuff?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
It feels to me like a decent business might be making switches for edge deployments that are perhaps 2-4U but are much quieter. A 1U 32x100GbE switch uses about as much power as a high-end desktop PC but screams.
Are the switches from different brands? On arista switches/in eos you could set the fan speed to 30% which makes them a lot quieter (and saves a little bit power too :D).

klui

Feb 3, 2019
Are you planning on terminating the drops yourself or hiring someone with a fusion splicer? The thought of losing bits of glass and causing a biohazard scares me.

Reactions: tinfoil3d

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@nasbdh9 - That is basically what is happening. The challenge is that it is a ton of fiber going to the endpoints so somehow need to manage the distribution in the rooms.

@tinfoil3d it is also the endpoints. I do not want one in my office next to my desk.

@i386 Likely Dell S5200-ON switches. Trying to figure out if I can get what I need out of a S5296F-ON or if I need a S5296F + S5232F

@klui Everything is pre-terminated. Over 120 MTP runs. No way I want to do that (or pay for an installer to do it on-site.)

@tinfoil3d using a mix of the HPE, C2G/ Legrand, and Commscope

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
@Patrick thanks again. Honestly didn't know about mtp and still have vague idea how do you use that. Breakout from 100gigs? 40? On switches. I don't have my server room yet, everything is in my room which is office and home t the same time, and I've only been using aoc and duplex patch cables to connect stuff over very short distances. This needs a lot of scaling when designing a designated office building, also interconnect undergroud cabling.

Reactions: T_Minus and Patrick

klui

Feb 3, 2019
D'oh! I didn't typically login just to read threads. Just read their descriptions but didn't view full sized pictures to see the terminations; only saw nice rounded lengths.

@tinfoil3d the problem with MPO/MTP is the different types, A, B, and C and depending on your configuration choosing the wrong type (C) limits how easy to change topology in the future. Converting types A and B through cassettes is simpler though more expensive but better for cable/rack management.

Scarlet

Jul 29, 2019
MTP keystones are very hard to get right now.
I built some Keystones myself using LogiLink SC Keystones, removing the SC-Insert and replacing it with an MTP®/MPO Key-Up to Key-Up Fiber Optic Adapter from FS.

The 3rd image in this post shows how this looks like: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...i-install-in-a-new-building.33364/post-308359

FS also has some Patch Panel inserts (6-Port Blank Fiber Patch) that fit their 1U Fiber Cassette holders and come with 6 Keystones that can hold the MTP Adapters (didn't thest this myself, but the images on the product page suggest this works just like my solution using the LogiLink Keystones).

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Did I not see a location? You mentioned offices and studio but I see a fire place... are you turning your home into your office\studio (more than 2020\1) or is this for the new studio + office space or a new home build-out ?

Reactions: Patrick

Sean Jones

Feb 16, 2018
What process did you go through to determine the lengths for all of the preterminated cables? My struggle has always been I do not have blueprint access to where I want to run fiber and how much excess I should plan for.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
What process did you go through to determine the lengths for all of the preterminated cables? My struggle has always been I do not have blueprint access to where I want to run fiber and how much excess I should plan for.
Basically, I just got longer cables than I thought I would need. A few meters more does not cost that much and adding slightly more length and coiling in attics and such is fairly easy.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Dedicated trays, or the old zip-ties-and-command-pad trick for cable management?
That's what I used to hide the OS2 run in my home...right underneath the crown moulding between the wall and the ceiling...
Likely going to go directly through walls to where I want the termination to happen. The problem is that even 20x MTP connections take up a lot of panel space.

Reactions: T_Minus