Patrick on the AnandTech Podcast 041: Let’s Talk Server

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
Awesome! I consume a ton of podcasts and while the anandtech one is so much different (for the worse) without Anand I'm looking forward to this. Patrick has STH thought about a podcast? It can be a lucrative way for STH to educate people on server news and other things in the lab etc ?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Awesome! I consume a ton of podcasts and while the anandtech one is so much different (for the worse) without Anand I'm looking forward to this. Patrick has STH thought about a podcast? It can be a lucrative way for STH to educate people on server news and other things in the lab etc ?
My wife has been pushing me to do this to the point where she puts on podcasts she likes whenever I am in the car with her.

The lucrative bit is less so for STH. We do not have any direct ad sales so we would not have the opportunity to say "Sponsored by XYZ". I am trying to keep this model for STH as long as I can. On a weekly basis I get pitched for companies that want to buy or ad space, post "sponsored content", add aggressive advertising inventory and etc. They are a bit shocked when I told them that we actually cut ad views by ~11% over the past year with a sub- 1% impact on revenue.

Reactions: CreoleLakerFan

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
My wife has been pushing me to do this to the point where she puts on podcasts she likes whenever I am in the car with her.

The lucrative bit is less so for STH. We do not have any direct ad sales so we would not have the opportunity to say "Sponsored by XYZ". I am trying to keep this model for STH as long as I can. On a weekly basis I get pitched for companies that want to buy or ad space, post "sponsored content", add aggressive advertising inventory and etc. They are a bit shocked when I told them that we actually cut ad views by ~11% over the past year with a sub- 1% impact on revenue.
Not sponsored shows I don't care for those but just like serving ads on the page just say this show comes by way of company X?

gigatexal

I'm here to learn
Nov 25, 2012
Portland, Oregon
alexandarnarayan.com
Not sponsored shows I don't care for those but just like serving ads on the page just say this show comes by way of company X?
Ahh I misunderstood your previous point Patrick so the above is wrong. I see where you're coming from and appreciate it as a reader.

There are other ways to cover the costs. Patreon comes to mind. I'd chip in for sure.

I like what the packet pushers and python bytes does with their weekly podcasts on the news. The packet pushers do one called the network break And just goes into news from network and other vendors, their financials, cloud news etc. it's awesome it's like having a competent analyst give you opinion backed by years of experience in the industry which I think would parallel what you have.

Even something like anandtech where they have writers come on and discuss topics you could do that maybe and have moderators like piglover and whitey and the rest give their two cents

I guess what I like most about these podcasts is the sort of executive summary that they give. I trust the pundits and when they summarize situations most often they're correct. It helps me gain a grasp on a lot of industry things without having to lose my day job researching stuff.

Apologies for rambling.

I forgot to add it could also serve as a platform to push the demo eval lab.

You could have folks like gea on to discuss ZFS and such. I mean that's how I got here: the raid reliability calculator and then I found ZFS and was hooked.

Last edited:

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
The internet is loving video content... I'm over here reading transcripts :p
20m video or 3 minutes to read... :) :)

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Oh, don't get me wrong on a drive, in a plane or on a train :D:D

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
@Patrick why not just hire an ad sales firm? STH having more resources would be good for everyone.

I don't want those full page ads or the side ones that you click inadvertently when scrolling.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
@Patrick why not just hire an ad sales firm? STH having more resources would be good for everyone.

I don't want those full page ads or the side ones that you click inadvertently when scrolling.
Huh? Why give up a % to an agency when he's already getting contacted directly... he's turning them down, and actually reducing ads while only losing 1% of the sites ad-rev. Win. Win. for all.

Reactions: gigatexal