patch panel usage/value (not monetary, practicality)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

thetoad

Feb 10, 2021
this is a naive question, but as I am I'm new to managing a homelab with many physically connected devices, I'm trying to understand the value of a patch panel.

In my naiveity I see 2 possible values, but am probably missing things

1) the patch panel is cheap. instead of having cables that can get tugged on connected to one's expensive switch, you connect the fixed switch to the fixed patch panel with short fixed cables that should never be in a position to be even accidentally tugged on, and you connect the actual matchines to the patch panel which is a simple device and is easy to be repaired if something gets tugged and breaks something

2) "cleanliness"/"cable management". in a data center where one really want one's devices facing the "right" way for airflow reasons (though I guess one cold just as easily get a rear facing device that directs air the correct way, to avoid this issue?) one wants to be able to be more organized with one's cables.

A combination of #1 and #2 would be that its more easily to adjust cables to different ports along your switch if one is just changing a patch cable. i.e. in this scenario, the patch cables are more "dynamic" (i.e. reconfigurable) and the patch panel really is cable managed on the back of the rack to go to specific slots and tied down nicely. i'm wondering how common that is (vs simply reprogramming what the managed switch does with said port? i.e. if ports couldn't be reconigured easily, it make sense, but in a world where they can be, why not just do that without moving the patch cable? On the other hand, perhaps this is also "cable management" keep specific port usages clustered together physically, not just clustered together programmatically.

anyways, as I said, this is somewhat of a naive Q, but figure best way to learn is to ask naive questions.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
It's closer to #1 but not entirely. In-wall drops are solid core so as to minimize signal loss. But at the end of those runs, facilitating plugging/unplugging puts excess strain on solid core cables and therefore patch panels are used so patch cables are used which are made with stranded wires.

Reactions: Amrhn

dmather

Jun 15, 2020
Basically the idea is that longer fixed (not moving) runs of wire use solid core wire as klui mentioned. These wires have more material and so have better signal propagation over long distances but are brittle because thicker solid copper wires work harder as they are flexed. So data receptacles and patch panels represent the fixed ends of infrastructural wiring. You can then plug patch cables (stranded) into the patch panel or data receptacle that represents cable to the server, work station, appliance, etc. Patch cables can be flexed, have tighter bend radius's and are generally more durable but don't do quite as well for long distances.

Reactions: Amrhn

thetoad

Feb 10, 2021
so in summary, in the context of a non datacenter homelab, is there much value?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
In a home lab anyway I would just use a keystone type patch panel, nice and easy. I mean you can splice fiber or punch copper but just as easy to have it terminated or use pre terminated cables.

dmather

Jun 15, 2020
I use a patch panel for home/home lab, but then I have a fair number of fixed in-wall runs and plans to add more. If you don't have any fixed in-wall wiring then no, there's no point. If you only have a couple then as Evan mentions a small keystone style patch panel is the best because then it's multi-purpose. So in short, it depends on how much fixed wiring you have that will become part of your home/home lab. Something to keep in mind is that you can just crimp on regular RJ45 ends on to some fixed connections like say a wireless access point that you don't plan on moving. It just wouldn't be a good idea for a connection you plan on unplugging/plugging in often as the wires inside may stress and snap.

klui

Feb 3, 2019
In my opinion, a home production installation would benefit but that is a personal decision based on cost, layout, and materials used. I feel the most important thing is would you mind a failure because you've moved a cable too many times. Failure would probably first manifest intermittently, making root cause determination challenging.

My home production network has over 30 solid core drops installed 10 years ago. I have moved/rerouted cables completely 5 times due to switch changes. Roughly 10-15 drops have seen 2-3 dozen connects/disconnects. I had a POTS expander connected by a custom crimped cable using left over solid- core Cat6. My phone had intermittent bouts of unreliability after 7 years. Soon after I removed it there have been no issues. I rerouted that cable less than 10 times.

My lab, in contrast, uses patch cables and I have no rack. Devices are either stacked on a couple of tables or on the floor.

thetoad

Feb 10, 2021
I just realized that this explain the patch panel someone gave me for free. It had a number of cables punched down on the patch panel side, but the other side they were all cut. I was wondering, why would they cut them instead of detaching them. Because they couldn't. Also why those cables are much stiffer than ethernet cables I'm used to. <light bulb>