Passthrough NIC - What are they?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Seen lots around used but wondering what these are. Can they be used as a normal NIC? What is the difference? Anyone using them and how?

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
Not sure where you are referring to, but the context I am familiar with: sometimes someone dedicates a specific NIC to a specific VM, so they (if the HW permits) pass the PCI device through to that guest, so it can manipulate it without any hypervisor interference. AFAIK, there is nothing 'passthrough' about the NIC itself.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
My understanding is they are designed to fail closed(if the card dies two interfaces will be linked together). One would use one in an inline packet sniffer or IDS. If hardware fails for some reason the link will not go down.

cactus

Jan 25, 2011
CA
Oh, unfortunate use of the term passthrough then, from my POV anyway :)
Bypass is the correct term.(Just spent half hour trying to remember that) Here is an example. I believe that is what miniknight was referring to. I know I have seen them on ebay before and thought WTH is that.

MiniKnight

Mar 30, 2012
NYC
Bypass is the correct term.(Just spent half hour trying to remember that) Here is an example. I believe that is what miniknight was referring to. I know I have seen them on ebay before and thought WTH is that.
Sorry bypass is what I meant. Those cards are cheaper sometimes.