Pass CPUID String to VM in Linux KVM or Proxmox

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Here's what I'm thinking of doing. I'm thinking of making VM's on say 18 core V3 CPUs. Then selling two VMs with half the RAM and saying something like "Xeon E5-2620 V3 equivalent"

I am only going to have max 3 VMs per system, but it's cheaper to put one system together than three.

Can I pass the CPUID string in? I will say equivalent on the ad to stay above board and the users will have higher clocks available since I want these to go well. But is it possible to have the guest VMs lscpu and see E5-2620 V3?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Hmm...

CPUID is a cpu command that's called by tools like "lscpu". I don't think it's possible to catch these calls without emulating the cpu (magnitudes slower!) and then passing the modified string with the model number.

Reactions: Jeggs101

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
Thanks! That's what I thought. I know when you do GPU pass-through of consumer cards you can change things like the hypervisor ID so I thought maybe it'll work.

Everyone these days gets that hosting providers virtualize. It's still easier to just have the ID come up instead of having to explain the differences.