Pallet Sale 10xSC846's

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
Those would be good candidates for stripping them down and selling for parts. I've done that with my older 846 chassis. It was a shame to scrap them but I got $320/EA worth of parts out of mine and sold the parts on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016
Are you sure? Mine is hooked up to 17 2,3,4 and 6TB drives running off a LSI 2008.
This is actually quite common. It seems to be random that some users can fill the bay's completely up with drives >2TB and it works just fine. I honestly think it comes down to firmware on the backplane.

Awesomesauce

Apr 20, 2016
This is actually quite common. It seems to be random that some users can fill the bay's completely up with drives >2TB and it works just fine. I honestly think it comes down to firmware on the backplane.

No its not. The backplane version in this chassis does not work with 3tb +

The chassis however has other backplane versions.

So unless you can confirm your backplane version, i will not assume it would work. Call supermicro to see for yourself.

roberth58

Nov 5, 2014
Florida

So unless you can confirm your backplane version, i will not assume it would work. Call supermicro to see for yourself.
I have a 846 from the TAMS deal a few years ago. It came with a SAS-846TQ. Last year I bought a BPN-SAS-846EL1 from MrRackables to replace it, trying to reduce my power usage. This backplane has been running 17 SATA drives sized between 2 and 6TB 24/7 for over 6 months. The 846 in the ad from MrRackables is listed as having a BPN-SAS-846EL1. The only problem with the SAS-846El1 is that it only runs SAS at 6Gig, SATA is only 3Gig. If you need SATA at 6Gig buy the SAS2-846El1. Now I am not going to say that it will still work with all 24 bays populated, but you definitely can't say it won't work with 3TB+ drives. Also if you are using a card like a LSI 1068E instead of a LSI 2008 or equivalent, then you are correct it will not work with 3TB+ drives.

Awesomesauce

Apr 20, 2016
Strange i had exactly same card with 2 of these chassis. None work with 3tb drives. Which OS are you running?

I remembered i tried everything, also call Supermicro. They told me SAS1 wont work. So i had to upgrade the backplanes to SAS2 and Sas 846A (no expander )

CyberSkulls

Apr 14, 2016

I have those same backplanes, so yes I "can" confirm it will work with 3TB drives as I have used mine with 3TB drives. So no need to write SM about it.

And I even bought them from Mr Rackables. Never tried to fill up all 24 bays as I doubt it would work completely full.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
The only problem with the SAS-846El1 is that it only runs SAS at 6Gig, SATA is only 3Gig.
The SAS-846EL1 backplane uses the LSI SASX36 expander chip which is only a first-gen SAS device - so you are only going to get 3G speeds regardless of whether you use SAS or SATA drives with it. But there are no limitations in first-gen SAS preventing >2TB drives - larger drives may work depending on a lot of other factors (eg. controller, firmwares, drivers, etc.)

Reactions: cheezehead

roberth58

Nov 5, 2014
Florida
The SAS-846EL1 backplane uses the LSI SASX36 expander chip which is only a first-gen SAS device - so you are only going to get 3G speeds regardless of whether you use SAS or SATA drives with it. But there are no limitations in first-gen SAS preventing >2TB drives - larger drives may work depending on a lot of other factors (eg. controller, firmwares, drivers, etc.)
You are correct, I was getting the 846 specs mixed up with the hp expander I had in another system, it was SAS 6G and SATA 3G.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
You are correct, I was getting the 846 specs mixed up with the hp expander I had in another system, it was SAS 6G and SATA 3G.
Ya - the HP expanders are the only ones I've ever heard of that run SAS and SATA at different speeds.