paint texture

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

chris2020

Jan 3, 2020
Seemingly a bit off topic for this forum, but to date no one I've consulted knows the answer.

Look at a new computer case, or likely server chassis. Chances are the paint finish has a slightly gritty texture. I'm not suggesting there's actual grit in the paint. But I am puzzled how such a finish is created.

Also, on much, much older computer cases of the 80s, and beyond maybe, the finish was more of an orange peal. Or appears as if the final coat was applied with a clogged paint gun. Again anyone know how that was accomplished?

chris2020

Jan 3, 2020
Run of the mill computer cases are powder coated? I hadn't considered that. Within arms reach there are 2 cases, a Rose will and a Raidmax. Both were real cheap (rebate/discount). Maybe powder coating is so widely used these days it's economical?

Rock

Jan 28, 2020
Northern California
Run of the mill computer cases are powder coated? I hadn't considered that. Within arms reach there are 2 cases, a Rose will and a Raidmax. Both were real cheap (rebate/discount). Maybe powder coating is so widely used these days it's economical?
Economical, easily done on an assembly line, dries for handling faster than electrostatic painting.