P8Z77 or P9X79 - probably WS for each

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Asru

Oct 2, 2012
Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I bought my last MOBO/CPU, still running on X38 Asus Maximus Formula with Q6600@default speed and 8GB RAM. I'm sad I have to replace them.

The new system will be mostly running vm's inside VMware Workstation for labs/testing/learning. The only bad thing with my current system is the lack of RAM.
I'm sure any of the two chipsets Z77 or X79 will be more than enough for my other tasks I might throw at them. My main concern is which platform to choose.

The CPU's I'm looking at are i7-3820 for X79 and i7-3770 for Z77. I need VT-d and EPT and both have it. I don't care about overclocking at all.
Also, 32GB RAM from Z77 should be enough. Even so, I know I'll get 64GB if I'll go with X79.

I'm thinking about next year's IB-E CPU's. From what I read they'll be on same socket and chipset as i7-3820, but who can be sure?

Been reading the forums and reviews all past week and still can't get a clear winner. Am I too picky/scared?

Any suggestions you may have for one or the other would be highly appreciated.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
If RAM is king go LGA2011 based Mobo, you'll have more options later on.

The Z77 WS is a nice board with heaps features but giving me endless frustrations with UEFI.
If you just turn the computer on the same way each time, then all is good, multiple boot devices are a curse to control.

sotech

Jul 13, 2011
Australia
One thing you might consider as well - you can pick up a Z9PE-D16 for about the price as a P9X79 WS board and you get a TON more value; IPMI, built in quad gigabit ethernet (i350-T4 equiv.), dedicated IPMI ethernet port, optional 8-port SAS card, second CPU option etc...

The only thing you lose by going a single CPU on that board is the RAM for the second CPU and the three PCI-E x16 slots wired into CPU2. That's it. Have a look at some reviews of the board - well worth a look.

Asru

Oct 2, 2012
Thanks for the replies guys, I'm gonna go with P9X79WS and i7-3820.
Looking for an air cooler at the moment that won't interfere with fully populated DIMMs. Seems a tough one too.
I know about the Corsair H80 but I'm not convinced I want a flood in there if something should happen.

ehorn

Jun 21, 2012
Thanks a lot, ehorn. Will sure give it a try.
yvw,

Here is a shot of the cooler with all banks full of Samsung LP (low-profile) memory on the X79-WS:

Let us know how the build goes.

peace,

Asru

Oct 2, 2012
I got the parts yesterday and managed to get them inside my old case. will put some pics soon, a bit overwhelmed at work.
it's p9x79ws with 3820 and 64gb ram, with scynthe cooler.

thanks for all your help.

Asru

Oct 2, 2012
Got a little time on my hands. Here it goes:

Pics

Fainted for a second when I first powered it on - system halted, CPU fan error. Turns out the MB had a default value of minimum 600 RPM and the big guy was cruising at 570 RPM. The box says between 500~1300 RPM and I was very pleased to see I had an extra step for that warning. Now it's set to cry at 500 RPM. I did test it though, set the temp alarm at 30 degrees instead of 70 and it went up to 1302 RPM. Still silent though.
Didn't have time to do any benchmarks (I don't think I'd do them even if I had time - there are more passionate people out there with better tools than me).

Thanks to all who helped me decide, I'm very happy with the choice.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
I had same thing when I turned my Mobo on first time gave me a scare too at first :)

Thats one very scary looking Heatsink

That system should do you nicely.

sotech

Jul 13, 2011
Australia
That has to be one of the craziest looking heatsinks I've seen in a long time. Pretty nice setup you've got there - should last you a long time.

ehorn

Jun 21, 2012
Nice rig Asru. Glad everything worked out well. Thanks for following up and Enjoy!

Asru

Oct 2, 2012
Oh...I am checking in...almost daily...been reading the site a lot since I found you guys.
Great info here, thanks for that.