P4510 1TB: Good or bad?

Discussion in 'Hard Drives and Solid State Drives' started by foogitiff, Oct 25, 2019.

1. foogitiff

foogitiff Member

Hi,

I only find reviews of the 2TB and 8TB models. the 1TB model seems competitively priced against the older P3600 1.2TB.

I could live with "only" 1.92PBW for the endurance.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  2. T_Minus

T_Minus Moderator

They are fine drives just lower capacity :D

3. foogitiff

foogitiff Member

The 2TB has twice the capacity, so it must be twice as good, no? :p

I am mostly curious about IOPS and such. Usually performance is worth on lower capacity model, I am just interested in really how much worth they are.

4. ullbeking

ullbeking Active Member

@foogitiff I'm looking for an M.2 2280 NVMe SSD plus a SATA 2.5" SSD for a NUC, preferably 512 GB - 1 TB each. They are going in to a NUC so I am actually thinking that a suitable, value for money set, would be WD Blues. My NUC is essentially a portable desktop that I am also using as a virt host. But capacity is important too because it needs to be all-in-one, hence preferably 1 TB each.

I have been looking at the Intel offerings too... an enterprise drive is unsuitable for a NUC due to high power draw and non-existent SLA, so I will be looking at various Intel SSD's, probably "professional grade" NOT enterprise grade.

@foogitiff Intel SSD's are my #1 choice so if I discover something in my research that could be useful to you I will let you know.

5. ullbeking

ullbeking Active Member

@foogitiff I feel that @T_Minus might be giving out a nonchalant vibe, so I will weigh in with my opinion on the P4510. These are proper enterprise drives and are a good choice where reliability and PLP are important:

IntelĀ® SSD DC P4510 Series (1.0TB, 2.5in PCIe 3.1 x4, 3D2, TLC) Product Specifications
    • "Enhanced Power Loss Data Protection" => "Yes" is a promising sign of a serious drive.
    I am currently purchasing SSD's for a virt server for colo. I am looking closely at theP4510 series, especially as you can get high capacity. I am considering purchasing 2x NEW 4 TB models which are currently on sale from my regular vendor :)

6. T_Minus

T_Minus Moderator

I was sharing my opinion ;) vs. linking to the spec that I figured he'd compared anyway.
    I run the 2TB variant, and as I said they're good drives.

7. ullbeking

ullbeking Active Member

You are indeed a straight shooter ;-)

I misunderstood. I thought you were saying that the 8 TB SSD's were low capacity.

I am purchasing a 1U Superserver based on the X11SSH-CTF board and it has 2x U.2 front bays. It's going to be a virt host that is as self-contained as possible. It will be used for many different experiments.

I'm considering this layout:
    • A pair of P4510 SSD's for the fast stuff. RAID0 "feels" like the way forward but engineering isn't about feelings; data and reasoning is better.
    • A SATA DOM for the OS.
    • Optane SSD in the M.2 as a cache for the remaining six front bays (and perhaps SATA DOM).
    • Still deciding configuration for the remaining six front bays:
      1. 6x high capacity SATA SSD's
      2. 3x high capacity SATA SSD's each paired with its own 100 GB HGST SLC SAS2/3 cache
      3. 6x 400 GB HGST MLC SAS2/3 data drive
    @ullbeking

8. mmk

mmk Member

Having used some P4510s I'd say for writes they're about the slowest NVME enterprise drives around. I'd personally steer clear of these and buy almost anything else.

Edit: although the RAID0 aspect of this post kinda makes it sound like it's not a very serious undertaking so perhaps the above doesn't really matter. Still not a fan of these drives though. Expected more.