p400 cache disable

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Firefoxsr

Oct 14, 2020
hi everyone,
I'm a beginning IT student (i'm still quite limited in my knowledge) and i picked up a second hand server (HP proliant dl380 gen5) for practice. The p400 cache battery is dead, and i wanted to turn cacheing it off so i can just install an OS (RAID isn't that important for me atm). I pulled out the cache card, but i just can't seem to disable it. When i try installing windows and linux(different distros) it wont let me do it on any of my fresh installed drives. Am i missing something?

Spartacus

May 27, 2019
Austin, TX
So wait you removed the P400 all together? or just the cache battery?
If you removed the P400 that is what connects all the drives to the backpanes you need it to use the front HDD slots.

The p400 to my knowledge doesnt support HBA mode, you would need a HBA that does, or you could "raid 0" one drive to do a semi-pass through it should work but wont pass all the drive data.

(fyi you can pick up a cheap battery off ebay too not sure if this is the exact model but im sure there are similarly priced if not: HP RAID BATTERY FOR P400/P700 )

Last edited: