P4 cable-part on SFF-8087 breakout cable

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
I see this was connected to the backplane of my SM CSE-826, but i'm moving the cable further into additional SAS HBA where that part marked P4 can't reach far enough to the backplane.
What's the function of that cable and can this be dropped connecting to the backplane?
Image at OwnDrive

fossxplorer

Mar 17, 2016
Oslo, Norway
Thanks for the information. I'm reading https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/other/BPN-SAS-826TQ.pdf in the hope of trying to find out how to get the LEDs right.
I've connected a ServeRaid M1015 to the system and 2 SSDs are inside the chassis (not using the bays, i needed to save these 2 bays :) ). The MB has integrated 2 x SFF-8087 as well and i'm using one of the ports where the breakout cable to cover all the middle row 4 ports on the backplane.
The SFF-8087 break out cable from one of the SAS ports on M1015 is connected to both the 2 SSDs AND to the SAS ports #6 and #9.
SAS ports #0 and #3 is connected with another SFF-8087 break out cable off the 2nd SAS port on M1015, but the SGPIO cable is too short to reach to the backplane.

I've connected the SGPIO from the onboard SFF-8087 to ACT_IN0_7 and the one from M1015 to ACT_ON8_11.

Now the LEDs are all screwed up. I see constant LED on some and no activity LED changes :(

EDIT: it seems the breakout cables are different when it comes to this: one is 8-pins (so I2C?) , other 9-pins (SGPIO). The backplane is in default SGPIO mode.

Last edited: