p3700 400gb 2.5" $350

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Logan

Feb 22, 2017
Got the adapter, drive was unformatted, benchmarks look as expected. Tested with my workload, but it looks like I can't hit high enough queue depths to really take advantage of it. Now trying to convince myself of other uses for it (maybe a good time to get into virtualization).

By the way, with HP-branded drives it has been mentioned here several times that you can't get full SMART info (without HP hardware?), and some have wondered how to see total bytes written. The Intel SSD Data Center Tool has a "performance" reporting option (isdct show -performance) that includes DataUnitsWritten, described in the manual as:

"(NVMe Devices only). The number of 512 byte data units the host has written to the device. Value is reported in units of 1000 (1 = 1000 units of 512 bytes)."

Maybe, this is a way to get a partial substitute for missing HP SMART info.

Also, I benchmarked with both the native Windows 10 Pro NVME driver and the Intel one and there was very little difference.

[EDIT: DataUnitsWritten is reported as 1000 units of 512 bytes, not units of 512 bytes. Quoted from the manual.]

Last edited:
Reactions: zeynel

Logan

Feb 22, 2017
Was the drive new when you got it?
It arrived unformatted in a sealed anti-static bag with desiccant, no external signs of wear. Didn't see anything in the Intel SSD Data Center Tool info to indicate prior usage, but I only checked after I formatted it and tested a bit.

nephri

Sep 23, 2015
Paris, France
I hate myself to miss this deal ! i'm looking for NVMe drive in U.2 2.5'' form factor for a while...
You did a damn good deal !!

zeynel

Dream Large, Live Larger
Nov 4, 2015
yes you mention that before, thats a little bit strange or not ?

any benchmarks yet ? ^^

Logan

Feb 22, 2017
I have no experience with HP or Intel warranties, so I don't know if this is strange. On the HP site, a serial number is requested. When I enter the ISN on the drive, I get this message: "This product cannot be identified by serial number alone. Please enter a product number below." Now, which of the other numbers is the product number? If I enter the HP Model, I get: "This product number is not associated with the serial number provided. Please review your records and make any necessary edits or check the box to remove this item." If I enter the HP P/N, I get: "The information you provided does not match our records. Please review your entry again and make any necessary edits or contact HPE for more assistance." Am I entering the wrong numbers?

as-ssd-bench MO0400KEFHN 4.23.2017 4-18-54 PM.png as-ssd-bench MO0400KEFHN 4.23.2017 4-18-36 PM.png

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
You can try to get the serial number from isdct if its not on the drive :) That works for intel drives at least, havent tried on a HP one

Reactions: Logan

Logan

Feb 22, 2017
You can try to get the serial number from isdct if its not on the drive :) That works for intel drives at least, havent tried on a HP one
isdct reports the ISN as the serial number, which is what I was using.

zeynel

Dream Large, Live Larger
Nov 4, 2015
looks like there is no firmware update possible by intel tools.

send by mobile device

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Last edited by a moderator:

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
LOL read on the other pages @zeynel, he cancelled my order due to no qty left from shipping your guys and his friend selling them local. I asked for serial #s / validation they were not stolen, etc, he stalled, never provided it then cancelled and told me there were none left.

thus I'm bitter and sad :( hahah

oh well now I best get a optane deal ;) LOL!!

Logan

Feb 22, 2017
Don't be jealous, bitter, sad, etc. I cannot make good use of mine (workload queues aren't deep enough to see a big performance increase, unfortunately), so I will sell it and use an S3700 instead. Will list tomorrow in the For Sale section (with Funtin adapter).