OwnCloud 7 - Who is using it?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TangoWhiskey9

Jun 28, 2013
I really want to build my own private OneDrive. I like my Synology DiskStation and all but I also like the features you get with OneDrive and Google Drive. The desktop integration is great. I'm also concerned with Xpenology getting tougher to install.

Has anyone used the OwnCloud 7 community edition? Is it something that I'd need to run in a DC or could I run it at home? How is it compared to OneDrive?

Thanks in advance

lmk

Dec 11, 2013
You don't need to run it in a DC. It's all about roll your own, so you can install it on existing system, or VM, etc, edit and configure as you wish. Add/upload files, sync to computers or devices (Android, Mac, Win, Linux, etc). Create and manage user accounts, access, etc. Lots and lots.

Don't really use OneDrive, so not sure about a comparison.

They are definitely improving each version more and more, adding features, etc.

One of the recent ones is based on WebODF and brings the ability to edit and collaborate on documents - think Google Drive Docs. Although it is a little basic at the moment, it is slowly being fleshed out (e.g. inserting images support exists in recent WebODF releases, but has to be added/updated to OwnCloud version, etc).

lmk

Dec 11, 2013
Minimal (relatively)?

I have an instance using MAMP on a work laptop, along with several other web based services

Very easy to install and kick the tires with, get LAMP or whatever stack you want, easy kick-started installer, etc.

Lots of documentation available from them, too.