Overdue Servers/Network Build Log

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

kidchunks

Sep 28, 2014
New builds coming soon!

Servers

Build’s Name: Birman
Build Date: 10/2014
Operating System/ Storage Platform: Debian 7
CPU: 2x Intel X5670
Motherboard: SUPERMICRO MBD-X8DAH+-F-O
Chassis: Corsair 540
Drives: 3x 4TB HGST Cool Spins, 1x 128GB Intel 530, 1x 256GB Crucial MX100 and 1TB Samsung Spinpoint
RAM: 24GB DDR3 ECC Unbuffered
Add-in Cards: Intel dual port gigabit and IBM m1015 flashed
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1300 G2
Other Bits: Watercooling for CPUs, Supports 9x 3.5 HDDs, ~200Watt power usage! :eek:

Usage Profile: NAS (Snapraid), Crashplan, Plex, KVM, Atlassian Products instances, Web Dev and Windows App Dev instances

Other information:
This build started with the idea that I wanted an all in one solution for my server, workstation and gaming needs. I tested performance with both a 290x and 295x2 (which is the reason for the 540 and large PSU). Sadly the performance wasn't what I expected so I stripped out the cards and kept the server running the noted services above. I found the 540 as the only consumer case that fits EEATX boards from supermicro. Now, it doesn't do it PERFECTLY but enough to have the board fit securely and cables routed properly.

Build’s Name: Birman
Build Date: 06/2015
Operating System/ Storage Platform: ESXi 6
CPU: Intel 1230v2
Motherboard: SUPERMICRO MBD-X9SCM-F-O
Chassis: SUPERMICRO CSE-510T-200B
Drives: 1x 1TB 850 Pro and 1x 128 Intel 530
RAM: 32GB DDR3 ECC Unbuffered
Add-in Cards: ConnectX-2 EN 10GbE
Power Supply: The one included with the chassis

Usage Profile: Hypervisor(Too many VMs...now I want a dually again..)

Other information:
Started running into performance issues with KVM and windows so the switch was needed. I have experience with ESXi so transition was rather easy. No complaints so far!

Build’s Name: Devonrex
Build Date: 06/2015
Operating System/ Storage Platform: Debian 7
CPU: Intel Atom C2750
Motherboard: ASRock Rack C2750D4
Chassis: U-NAS 800 (with usb3.0 front header)
Drives: 8x 3.5 SATA and 1x ATP 8GB USBe
RAM: 16GB DDR3 ECC Unbuffered
Add-in Cards: ConnectX-2 EN 10GbE
Power Supply: SeaSonic SS-250SU

Usage Profile: NAS (Snapraid), Crashplan and ESXi Backup

Other information:
Originally, I had my eyes set on the Synology DS2015xs but at that price I could build something cheaper with more features so...I went that route. This was probably my most fun build to date.

A few notes regarding the build:
- U-NAS case has some unfinished edges..so feel around and tape them up as they can cut some of your wires.
- Flip the USB jumper on the asrock board to support a USBe flash disk.
- Pull air in from the back of the UNAS. Provides better airflow and keeps the case dust free.

Network Rack

Rack: Samson SASRK12

Layers (top to bottom):
Kendall Howard 1U Cable Routing
StarTech PDU PD
Netgear Prosafe S3300-28X
Coming soon..
Cyberpower CP1500PFCLCD (non mounted)

Updates

Incoming goodies:
N/A

Last edited:
Reactions: T_Minus and Patrick

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Cool builds! Good choice on drives for perf/value ratio too!

Looking forward to pictures.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
Looks like a nice little rack, but I have a question. Why the single-mode fiber? Or is it actually multimode and just the wrong color.

kidchunks

Sep 28, 2014
Looks like a nice little rack, but I have a question. Why the single-mode fiber? Or is it actually multimode and just the wrong color.
I asked someone who does fiber installs and he suggested single mode. But now looking through here it seems multimode is the preferred for shorter runs.

One of the transceivers I received from fiberstore is defective (tested on the switch). Anyone know how fiberstore it when it comes to returns/exchanges?

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
Multi-mode is typically significantly cheaper than single-mode (both cables and transcievers), which is why it is usually preferred where it can be used. Single-mode's advantage is long distance and is where you typically see it used - multi-mode will get up to 400M away, while single-mode can do hundreds of KM.

Personally I don't deal with single-mode stuff at all - the network team at work uses lots of it, but within the datacenter (my area) its all multi-mode. So I'm not 100% certain of this, but I think I heard somewhere that single-mode also has minimum cable lengths that make it hard to use within a single room. You may want to do a bit of further research in that area.

Reactions: kidchunks

kidchunks

Sep 28, 2014
Multi-mode is typically significantly cheaper than single-mode (both cables and transcievers), which is why it is usually preferred where it can be used. Single-mode's advantage is long distance and is where you typically see it used - multi-mode will get up to 400M away, while single-mode can do hundreds of KM.

Personally I don't deal with single-mode stuff at all - the network team at work uses lots of it, but within the datacenter (my area) its all multi-mode. So I'm not 100% certain of this, but I think I heard somewhere that single-mode also has minimum cable lengths that make it hard to use within a single room. You may want to do a bit of further research in that area.
Thanks for the info! I'll get some multimode fiber later to compare.

The 1U routing panel came in today! The holes are really smooth which should prevent my cables from snagging. Power connectors can also fit through them! I got it from kendall howard if anyone is interested.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
Thanks for the info! I'll get some multimode fiber later to compare.
Also keep in mind that the type of fiber is usually tied to the type of transciever - its probably not as simple as just swapping patch cables. Short range transcievers usually have 850nm lasers optimized to work through the thicker (usually 50um) multimode fibers. Long range transcievers use up into the 1300nm lasers over the thinner 9um singlemode fibers. I have heard that sometimes you can use single-mode patch cables with some short-range multimode SFPs but have never tried it myself. You should be able to get the tech specs for your SFPs listing exactly what type of fiber should be used with them - or at a minimum the laser warnings printed on the SFP should say what wavelength of light it operates at - if its 850nm it'll be multimode, or 1310nm will be singlemode.

Reactions: kidchunks

kidchunks

Sep 28, 2014
Also keep in mind that the type of fiber is usually tied to the type of transciever - its probably not as simple as just swapping patch cables. Short range transcievers usually have 850nm lasers optimized to work through the thicker (usually 50um) multimode fibers. Long range transcievers use up into the 1300nm lasers over the thinner 9um singlemode fibers. I have heard that sometimes you can use single-mode patch cables with some short-range multimode SFPs but have never tried it myself. You should be able to get the tech specs for your SFPs listing exactly what type of fiber should be used with them - or at a minimum the laser warnings printed on the SFP should say what wavelength of light it operates at - if its 850nm it'll be multimode, or 1310nm will be singlemode.
Once again, thanks for the info! I checked my transceivers and they are 850 so it seems I should be using multimode fiber. I just put a purchase through monoprice for some cables. I'll keep you posted!

neo

Mar 18, 2015
There's nothing quite like the feeling of racking a fresh cabinet, looking real nice.

kidchunks

Sep 28, 2014
There's nothing quite like the feeling of racking a fresh cabinet, looking real nice.
Thanks! I agree, I get the good feels every time something new for my rack comes in. :D

Just an update on the setup, I decided against going with a virtual pfSense instance and decided on an EdgeRouter lite. Anyone using one in the wild?

kidchunks

Sep 28, 2014
Updated Pictures!

Built!

Fitted with some appliances

SFP+ Goodies

1U routing panel installed!

05/25/2015
EdgeRouter!

Almost done with wiring!

Finished configuring the edgerouter and did some rewiring. Still waiting on that replacement tranceiver from fiberstore though. :(

Last edited:

kidchunks

Sep 28, 2014
I've been busy recently so haven't had much time to post some updates till now.

New 1U bracket for my edgerouter lite, I likes! Def recommend for anyone looking to rack those edge routers. Picture up!

10GB Speed Tests:

Bother servers are using 671798-001 HP 10GB MELLANOX CONNECTX-2 cards (Birman has the latest firmware version) and are connecting through a s3300-28x. I used iperf for testing.

Results:

Birman (Client) -> Cymric (Server)
-w 64k 6.18 Gbits/sec
-w 512k 9.36 Gbits/ sec

Cymric (Client) -> Birman (Server)
-w 64k 6.49 Gbits/ sec
-w 512k 9.37 Gbits/ sec

This test was primarily for network throughput. Once I get some new SSDs, I'll do some protocol testing.

kidchunks

Sep 28, 2014
So it is time for me to retire Cymric and start working on that NAS I always wanted to build.

Core Parts:

Chassis:
U NAS 800
Motherboard: Asrock C2750D4I
PSU: SeaSonic SS-250SU