overclocking Xeon E7 8894 v4 (x8) inside Lenovo X3950 X6 - "all core boost" ?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dimka890

Feb 20, 2019
Hello, i make new thread, but after find this. Help me please)
Its possible upgrade v2 CPU to v3 CPU in DDR3 books?

josep gatius

Aug 17, 2020
Catalunya
Buenas tardes. He comprado un lenovo x 3850 x6 y estoy tratando de poner una geforce 3060 gpu y todo el tiempo falla al iniciar windows server 2022. con mi tesla 80 no hay problema. alguien ha conectado una gpu al servidor, gracias.

Jelle458

Oct 4, 2022
Jeg forstår ikke noget af det du skriver. Hvorfor skriver du ikke på engelsk, nu hvor forummet er på engelsk, og alle andre skriver på engelsk.
Dumme spanioler.....

josep gatius

Aug 17, 2020
Catalunya
Good afternoon. I have bought a lenovo x 3850 x6 and i am trying to put a geforce 3060 gpu and all the time it fails to start windows server 2022. with my tesla 80 no problem. Has anyone connected a gpu to the server, thanks.

ootronicsnazleaki

Jan 9, 2023
I am running OpenSuse on my .x3950 X6 with an nVidia gpu.
It does not physically fit in the case, so I have a notch cut out and a 150mm pcie extension ribbon and a external bracket bolted to the side via threaded rivets.
The gpu card needs additional power which I am getting from one of the io port with the full length expansion bay.
My card is rated for the power draw that setup can provide, it is a 1060.
The 3060 you have may require more power (I have not looked it up) which you would be able to source from multiple full length expansions + custom cable or perhaps different external psu.
This is my guess.

mbimhouse

Nov 6, 2023
This is some interesting data for sure. Useless to some degree but still very interesting. I never dug this deep into it as I only had a few hours to play with the x3950 X6 I had. It was not my private unit but a production one that I've build from a CTO (Configure-to-order). That meant BIOS had to be stuck but I did play with the settings, but I never got it running at all core single core boost frequency.

The HP one however, the DL580 ran for me pretty nice boosts up to what I think is called PL1. So a short cinebench run would be full power, but a longer prime95 run would go down in clock speeds.

I also see different BIOS versions behaving differently. For Lenovo you can use BoMC to get the latest, but older versions might be hard to find.

For HP I have some Service Pack for ProLiant, each pack has a different BIOS.

You could always try to upgrade the BIOS, if it isn't the newest, see if you can some better frequencies. Although in my experience the older BIOS are usually the fastest ones. If you can find a launch BIOS some of them just out of the box run full turbo all the time. Of course I didn't try that on x3950 X6 but when x3650 M5 came out this was the case. The SR650/630 also ran full turbo with the launch BIOS.

It's crazy why they won't just unlock the performance, we all know it's there, and Intel won't care if they go over spec, clearly since some launch BIOS just goes full performance.

It just shows what I always say at work; there should be one BIG RED button that says "I KNOW WHAT I AM DOING" and stuff should just... work.
hello
Can I share some HP DL580 G9 BIOS ProLiant service packs? My HP license has expired.

zorg33

Oct 19, 2022
I haven't gone through the whole thread but I just want to add, that some undervolting can bring ~10% all-core performance on these kind of servers (TDP bottleneck), so it's kind of overclocking in a sense. Also PLL can be sometimes adjusted to give 2-3 MHz higher BCLK.

Don_prince

Apr 3, 2023
If anyone has or finds the Full Lenght IO Booklet for a reasonable price I am interested, means I can retire my Fujitsu server aswell and fully run on this box.

The reasonable priced ones seem to have vanished from the internet...

2d.langlands

Oct 23, 2023
I am running OpenSuse on my .x3950 X6 with an nVidia gpu.
It does not physically fit in the case, so I have a notch cut out and a 150mm pcie extension ribbon and a external bracket bolted to the side via threaded rivets.
The gpu card needs additional power which I am getting from one of the io port with the full length expansion bay.
My card is rated for the power draw that setup can provide, it is a 1060.
The 3060 you have may require more power (I have not looked it up) which you would be able to source from multiple full length expansions + custom cable or perhaps different external psu.
This is my guess.
Dear friend, X3950 x6 has 8 CPUs, but why it onyly support 4 GPUs by the manual. Because the physical space is limited, or a BIOS requirement? I have a GPU chasis with plx chips, can I use it with x3950 x6?

Don_prince

Apr 3, 2023
Dear friend, X3950 x6 has 8 CPUs, but why it onyly support 4 GPUs by the manual. Because the physical space is limited, or a BIOS requirement? I have a GPU chasis with plx chips, can I use it with x3950 x6?
From what I gather its a physical and power related thing, not necisarily by BIOS.

I am very intrested in whether it works with the PLX chips, out of curiocity what GPU chassis do you have?

Don_prince

Apr 3, 2023
That looks like a solution that would work for me aswell...

Unfortunately I can only find them in china and I dont think shipping will be cheap...