Overclock your AMD Epyc

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Tuvar

Dec 28, 2020
This is a lot of info to take in, so before I make an attempt was anyone able to get the H11DSi revision 2 to work with Naples? I have a pair of Epyc 7601's I'd like to try and OC. Is it safe to say that if I make a mistake I can reload the original bios from IPMI?

With 22 pages and counting I figured I'd ask before spending hours searching through them. I'd like to upgrade to Rome, but I'm mostly finding cpu's locked to Dell in my price range.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
was anyone able to get the H11DSi revision 2 to work with Naples?
rev. 2 has drop in support for Rome but still supports Naples with stock BIOS.

1.Dual AMD EPYC™ 7001/7002* Series Processors (*AMD EPYC 7002 series drop-in
support requires board revision 2.x)

Tuvar

Dec 28, 2020
rev. 2 has drop in support for Rome but still supports Naples with stock BIOS.

1.Dual AMD EPYC™ 7001/7002* Series Processors (*AMD EPYC 7002 series drop-in
support requires board revision 2.x)
Sorry, I should have clarified. I know it'll work, but it looks like there had been some attempts to use the Rev 2 board with the process above. It was left showing unverified so I was curious if that was still the case or if I should roll the dice and just see if I can get it working. I'm not familiar with the process obviously so I'm not sure I want to take down my server to tinker with. I also wanted to make sure I could reload the stock firmware if I give up.

Best case scenario would be someone already has the unlocked firmware I could download.

Tuvar

Dec 28, 2020
How are people keeping their VRM's cool? Should I try the small heatsinks and paste them to each vrm and add airflow to it or is there a better alternative?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
How are people keeping their VRM's cool? Should I try the small heatsinks and paste them to each vrm and add airflow to it or is there a better alternative?
which mainboard? why is there no heatsink on the DrMOS stanges by default?

Reactions: Tuvar

Tuvar

Dec 28, 2020
there is a BIG heatsink between the sockets. if not it was stolen.
Mine is indeed missing, any recommendation on finding a new one or a alternative solution? I'm not opposed to a little hillbilly engineering but I figure why reinvent the wheel if I don't need to.

Do you have any experience in ES/QS vs retail and which is better or easier to OC? I'd like to upgrade to Rome, and a ES/QS might be easier on the wallet if I can find one that'll play nice with the Rev 2 board and isn't a PITA to OC.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Mine is indeed missing, any recommendation on finding a new one or a alternative solution?
ask the seller of that (incomplete) board.
Do you have any experience in ES/QS vs retail and which is better or easier to OC?
No.
only Rome QS are unlocked.
i.e. most 7502 QS are same price than 7502(production unit) because the QS is unlocked.
the cheap times are over because AMD didn't throw out that many of them.

Reactions: Tuvar

grsychckn

Feb 26, 2019
Mine is indeed missing, any recommendation on finding a new one or a alternative solution? I'm not opposed to a little hillbilly engineering but I figure why reinvent the wheel if I don't need to.

Do you have any experience in ES/QS vs retail and which is better or easier to OC? I'd like to upgrade to Rome, and a ES/QS might be easier on the wallet if I can find one that'll play nice with the Rev 2 board and isn't a PITA to OC.
I developed a monoblock for the H11DSi-NT and am nearly done with my Rome ES build. I plan on selling 2 or 3 of them on my website once I can collect all the accessories I need to include. I will be asking a premium price for them though because they were expensive to develop and produce.
The build thread can be found here. If you're interested, PM me. I *might* be willing to sell my stock heatsink I removed in order to install the monoblock but I'm unsure at this time if I'd be willing to part with it for resale value.

Reactions: RolloZ170

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I *might* be willing to sell my stock heatsink I removed in order to install the monoblock but I'm unsure at this time if I'd be willing to part with it for resale value.
a hint: the price of a completely new H11DSi would be too much.

Tuvar

Dec 28, 2020
if you planning to use a XL PC case please read this thread

I'll be using a Rosewill 4U rack case once I receive some HDD bays then transplant over the parts from a 2U case. I have multiple head sinks at least a dozen are out of servers so I can machine them. It's likely easier to buy small sinks like the ones you see for RPi, but I don't think they would work with so little surface area :(

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
It's likely easier to buy small sinks like the ones you see for RPi, but I don't think they would work with so little surface area :(
i'm a little worried. if your mainboard lacks the heatsink, it may not function properly. bought as defective / untested?

Tuvar

Dec 28, 2020
i'm a little worried. if your mainboard lacks the heatsink, it may not function properly. bought as defective / untested?
Pulled working, but no heatsink. It might have come off at some point but I dunno. I'm not opposed to replacing it but I can't seem to find a stock one. Googling seems to lead to a lot of CPU heatsinks but I guess I'm not using the right keywords.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
i'd say it is very uncommon for such heatsinks to be missing or being available individually.
In your case i'd ask on here in a separat WTB thread in addition to talking with the Seller and pestering SM for a replacement.

Reactions: RolloZ170

Leo Atreides

Dec 23, 2020
After all the fun and benefits that I have had from this thread I figured I should post up my build and results.

I think that a 90k on Cinebench is possible if I run the test enough times. The IceGiants are extremely efficient and I can stress test at 3.8ghz without ipmi reporting overheating (both CPU claiming they are under 70c ), however the system will still report overheating and CPU throttling in the server event log, which is unusual as typically I see nothing there when was using less efficient cooling. All attempts at going over 3.8 no matter how much i 'undervolted' it were successful, everytime its an immediate voltage protection reboot.

I did underclock the RAM to the lowest setting in BOIS for the run that got me 89.7k, I had noticed in other OC runs that the DRAM frequency had always dipped slightly on all runs over 3.6ghz. I also set the cTDP to 200 in BIOS, but I doubt this has much effect.

The IceGiants are inpull/push configuration and that means air is flowing over the VRMs as intended, they are 12c - 15c over the CPU temps which rarely go over 70c even in the most agressive sustained OC tests I pushed it through.

ICYMI - i removed the USB header at the bottom of the case as it was obviously shorting ( Sigh ), fortunately I think the Supermicro board has short protection, so I only damaged my pride.

I dont think I would know anyway to push this faster, but if anyone has any ideas I might try it.

image_id_2635350.jpg20220130_122847.jpg