Overclock your AMD Epyc

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
So with the water cooling up and running (pics later) I would like to dip my toe into CPU OC.
I have two Epyc 7551 (retail) on a Supermicro H11DSi rev. 1.x. And I am running Linux.
Just to make sure: there seems to be more than one version of Zenstates-Linux on Github. Which one to use? This one seems to be it irusanov/ZenStates-Linux, but I am a bit put off by the description "Current version supports Zen2-based CPUs only"

Also, I think that someone mentioned newer microcode versions disabling the basis of this tool, i.e. no more CPU OC. I am currently running the modded bios version 1.3 from this thread. Do I need to revert back to 1.0c?

Last edited:

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
also, I think that someone mentioned newer microcode versions disabling the basis of this tool, i.e. no more CPU OC. I am currently running the modded bios version 1.3 from this thread. Do I need to revert back to 1.0c?
as you can see my comments, neither with modded bios i am not able getting OC-ed my setup, exacly same as yours. i can setup/change values in bios, but i hasn't effect in windows 10 when fully stressing all 128 threads.

what i wonder....should i use modded bios and changed bios values in combination with zenstate?
or is it one of them? either bios, either zenstate

to mention @nero243 comment from OP

""Both of them have also a patch in the CBS P-states to select a DID lower than 8, but this didn't make the P-states work.""

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
So really nobody wants to answer which fork of zenstates-linux is the right one for dual Epyc Naples?
This would be a bad time to break my hardware, so I would really appreciate some insight.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
If breaking you’re hardware isn’t an option, then I would recommend running it stock for the time being.

I.nfraR.ed

Aug 20, 2019
Bulgaria
So with the water cooling up and running (pics later) I would like to dip my toe into CPU OC.
I have two Epyc 7551 (retail) on a Supermicro H11DSi rev. 1.x. And I am running Linux.
Just to make sure: there seems to be more than one version of Zenstates-Linux on Github. Which one to use? This one seems to be it irusanov/ZenStates-Linux, but I am a bit put off by the description "Current version supports Zen2-based CPUs only"

Also, I think that someone mentioned newer microcode versions disabling the basis of this tool, i.e. no more CPU OC. I am currently running the modded bios version 1.3 from this thread. Do I need to revert back to 1.0c?
No public tool will currently work on Rome. We're trying to bring up support for Rome and I'm updating both Linux and Windows tools whenever I have more things working. Unfortunately the old DID trick for P-States does not work on Zen2-based CPUs.
Even though Rome is basically the same thing as Castle Peak for desktop, it does not respond to the same commands as the desktop counterpart.

Reactions: EagerToLearn

I.nfraR.ed

Aug 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Ah, for Naples if the P-State DID trick does not work anymore, then currently there's no other known way. All the forks have the same P-State functionality (read/write P-State MSRs). P-State functionality is universal for all generations.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Thanks. The description got me confused, and I wanted to avoid the tool writing to the wrong address, just because I have a CPU that it's not intended for.

I.nfraR.ed

Aug 20, 2019
Bulgaria
The tool (GUI) only writes changed values. And for the CLI, you have full control which parameter to set.
If you only use the P-States tab, then you're pretty much safe to try on any CPU.
Apply button works on active tab only.

The underlying terminal window should display something like this:
Code:
infrared@proton ~/ZenStates-Linux $ sudo python3 zenstates.py
[sudo] password for infrared:       
CPUID: 00810f10
GUI: ZenStates for Linux v1.11 initialized
GUI: Locking TSC frequency
GUI: Set Pstate0: [80, 4, 48]
PS: I've actually missed the Naples CPUID, so v1.11 would say "CPU not supported!".
Added it now, but only P-States and C-States are supported. You can use the original tool for these with the same result - it does not check for cpuid.

Last edited:

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
question: can we use the values of TR1 cpu (1950x) safely for epyc naples ? because they have the same architecture...

my bios default values for TR1 1950x cpu are:

P0 state
3400mhz
fid 88
did 8
vid 44
voltage 1.125 volt

P1 state
2800mhz
fid 8c
did a
vid 5a
voltage 0.9875 volt

are those safe values to use the for epyc naples?

I.nfraR.ed

Aug 20, 2019
Bulgaria
I believe so. Wouldn't go much above 1.1V if you don't have a good cooling. Temperatures would be high on sustained load, so due to thermals it doesn't make much sense to go above that anyway.
As for the frequency - whatever it could do at ~1.1.
Zen1 can rarely do 4+ GHz on desktop parts and it scales more with cooling rather than voltage.
Well, same is valid for newer gen, but the frequency potential is higher.

I would say 3.4 - 3.6 is probably the sweet spot, depending on cooling and voltage you're willing to set.

PS: Keep in mind, any type of OC can't be considered "safe" and noone can guarantee anything. It's up to the user.
CPU voltage is not that dangerous though. You will hit thermal limit much sooner than voltage tolerance. SoC voltage is much more dangerous.

Last edited:

bashdan

Mar 29, 2020
I would like to send a big thanks to you guys for doing this tinkering and making this software. I made a nice machine recently with 16x8GB 2666MHz RDIMMs and 2x EPYC 7601 that I now got running stable at 31x, 1.019V on my H11DSi.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
I would like to send a big thanks to you guys for doing this tinkering and making this software. I made a nice machine recently with 16x8GB 2666MHz RDIMMs and 2x EPYC 7601 that I now got running stable at 31x, 1.019V on my H11DSi.
could you share more details?
what did you do to get that?
which OS?
which values / numbers?
modded bios? or zenstate?
plz, as many as possible details. all information

bashdan

Mar 29, 2020
I've used both the python script (zenstates.py) on Linux and the GUI on Windows. Using Overclock your Ryzen CPU from Linux as a loose guide for setting values, I started with modest overclocks (27.5x, 1.000V). To translate the values I wrote a little python to get the hex values and the formula for VID is 1.55-(VID*0.00625) so large VID results in lower voltage.
I stress tested for 6 hours with Prime95 and my own stressing softwares to watch CPU and VRM temps. CPUs were always relatively cool (<50C) under 2x Noctua U14S TR4-SP3. And I kept bumping a bit until I got to 33x at 1.05, then the VRM couldn't handle it and I began to suffer throttling. I kept going down until I was comfortable with a 24/7 setting and then started lowering my voltage.
2x EPYC 7601, stock 2666MHz C19 RAM, H11DSi Rev.2 with latest (February 2020) 2.1(?) BIOS.
I run Linux Mint, ClearOS, and Windows 10 Pro for Workstations.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
question: can we use the values of TR1 cpu (1950x) safely for epyc naples ? because they have the same architecture...

my bios default values for TR1 1950x cpu are:

P0 state
3400mhz
fid 88
did 8
vid 44
voltage 1.125 volt

P1 state
2800mhz
fid 8c
did a
vid 5a
voltage 0.9875 volt

are those safe values to use the for epyc naples?
my own suggested values are not working with modded bios. i changed values to above in bios (which is modded by nero). but no effect. still running around 24-25* multiplier.

my vrmcpu1 and vrmcpu2 are around 72-73°C with full load of dual 7551 (128 threads full on 100%). room temperature (i guess) above 27-28°C. i have a 40mm*10mm fan on vrm-cooler (between 2 sockets).

cpu's get about 59-60°C with 100% load, room at 27-28°C. cpu cooler noctua sp3 120mm with 2 extra hravy fans 3pin.

my conclussion.: i give up OC of epyc

Trotador

Nov 1, 2016
Madrid, Spain
@alex_stief, I did not see your post, looking forward to see pics and temps of your water cooled system.

I also have a dual 7551 Epyc with Linux installed in a H11DSi rev1.x , current BIOS is official 1.2, I did not know about that modded one. What is it good for?

The version of ZenStates I'm using is this one r4m0n/ZenStates-Linux in case you are interested. It is working OK for me.

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
I plan on finishing the build tomorrow. Had to wait for a few bits and pieces in the mail, and I just could not bring myself to showing off an unfinished build.
In theory, the modded bios gives you access to a lot of cool stuff that is normally hidden from the user. Memory OC and timing adjustment, fan control, overclocking profiles and various settings I had not even heard of before. In practice, most of the settings are just ignored :(

I gave zenstates-linux a quick test. It works, but I will definitely be limited by the over-current protection of the board. I haven't dialed in a stable overclock yet.

Subatomic

Mar 23, 2020
So I screwed up. I saw a good deal on two production 7601 cpus and bought them in a moment of weakness thinking I would be able to get better overlocking out of them over my 7551 ES cpus. Turns out I can't really get any higher overclock than the ES provided and I ended up needing a higher voltage to hit the 3.3 GHz all core my ES cpus were running at. In any case I guess I will need to sell my ES 2S1905A4VIHF4 cpus, since I don't need both sets.