Overclock your AMD Epyc

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

I.nfraR.ed

Aug 20, 2019
Bulgaria
No, I don't have a Rome CPU.

Here's the first version of the updated python script (now with a GUI): irusanov/ZenStates-Linux
It works on Matisse and I'm sure it also works on CastlePeak. I've included Rome in the code, but it probably won't work.

Requirements are in the readme from the repo.
Power limits are experimental. Although they are working on Matisse, I don't have a way to read the actual value that is currently set. I also don't have a way to tell if the new value is set.
For example, if you enter 1000 for EDC it might be set to 1000, or it might be set to the maximum allowed (something like 255A). 0 means "skip" it entirely - nothing will be applied for the value. Scalar is not functional at the moment.

OC Mode get detected correctly on Matisse, but it might not work on Rome if the addresses are different.
P-States doesn't seem to have an effect, even though they get set correctly - this one and C6 states should "work" on Rome, since they are MSRs.

It's best to first test if the SMU addresses respond at all.
Code:
sudo zenstates.py --no-gui --smu-test-message
if you don't get
Code:
SMU response: 1
then don't try anything else (C6-States and P-States should be ok, but P-States don't have an effect anyway).

Apply button only sets values in the current tab.

USING THIS SCRIPT IS ENTIRELY YOUR RESPONSIBILITY
If the SMU responds, but the commands are different, this could potentially kill or damage your CPU (if it hits a command that sets e.g. SoC voltage).

I think it is 99% safe, even if the commands are not the same, but can't guarantee it.

ZenStates for Linux v1.0_006.png ZenStates for Linux v1.0_007.png ZenStates for Linux v1.0_009.png

Last edited:
Reactions: MrCake117

LukeAlexJamesSmith

Jun 29, 2019
Does anyone have the H11DSI-B bios for the 32C ES EPYCS? Is there any BIOS available with RAM overclocking unlocked too? Thanks.
Edit: found the 1.0C bios - will try the guide at some point.

Last edited:

I.nfraR.ed

Aug 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Will it be soon available for windows?
The same functionality is available in the Windows app. No support for Rome, since I don't have access to such system and without users debugging and trying commands on a running system, I can't do anything, sorry.

I'm rewriting ZenStates for Windows (no official support for Rome), but can't provide ETA.

Newest version of SMUDebugTool also supports settings OC frequency (all cores or a selected one), but this implies the system can be switched to OC mode first and then commands for setting frequency work. They do on Matisse/CastlePeak, but probably don't on Rome.

Overall, trying things on Rome blindly is dangerous and I don't want to be responsible for killing expensive CPUs. If Matisse/Castle Peak commands don't work on Rome, then I don't have a way to find what works without brute-forcing on a running Rome system. I can't have all the systems in the world, noone is paying me for this.

I will probably cut off the partial Rome support in next version, since it is not useful and kind of misleading, unless I somehow figure out what works on EPYC. And if OC is possible at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: TXAG26

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
May I ask you something? How does the monoblock make contact with the VRMs?
Mine is still on it's way (sigh), but I already got the thermal pad that is supposed to go between WB and VRMs. And it's 5mm thick!
Is the central cold plate flush with the rest of the block? Or does it protrude a little bit? Is the pad supposed to squish so much from the chokes that it contacts the VRMs, which sit several mm deeper?
And on a related note: how are VRM temperatures with this block? Better or worse than before?

MrCake117

Feb 28, 2019
Japan
May I ask you something? How does the monoblock make contact with the VRMs?
Mine is still on it's way (sigh), but I already got the thermal pad that is supposed to go between WB and VRMs. And it's 5mm thick!
Is the central cold plate flush with the rest of the block? Or does it protrude a little bit? Is the pad supposed to squish so much from the chokes that it contacts the VRMs, which sit several mm deeper?
And on a related note: how are VRM temperatures with this block? Better or worse than before?
I didn't test it yet so I can't give you any feedback sorry... (I'm kinda busy these days)

Dahuoxia

Mar 30, 2019
i bought zs1406e2vjug5_22/14_n 64c128t epyc 7742 es sample. its only 400 dollars.
this cpu can be run on krpa u16,ererything was fine just like normal cpu, i have been using it to run premiere pro.
but its base clock is only 1.4 and boost 2.2, aida64 shows its base clock is 22x100=2.2g windows task manager shows 1.4.
this cpu runs cinebench r20 for only 10800 scores due to its low base clock.
if rome can be overclocked, this cpu would be great.
View attachment 12678 View attachment 12680 View attachment 12679
Hi,would you like to tell me the bios version?
Thanks

Dahuoxia

Mar 30, 2019
It doesn't indicate an overclock tho. The max boost frequency is 2.2Ghz while the all-core boost under heavy load is 1.2Ghz. So far I've managed to lock the clocks on 2.175Ghz across all cores which isn't an overclock by any means
Normally,the frequency is marked as non-avx,there are different fqs depending on workloads.does the bios 0302 support zs1406 CPU?

Thanks

NORM123

Nov 19, 2019
i bought zs1406e2vjug5_22/14_n 64c128t epyc 7742 es sample. its only 400 dollars.
this cpu can be run on krpa u16,ererything was fine just like normal cpu, i have been using it to run premiere pro.
but its base clock is only 1.4 and boost 2.2, aida64 shows its base clock is 22x100=2.2g windows task manager shows 1.4.
this cpu runs cinebench r20 for only 10800 scores due to its low base clock.
if rome can be overclocked, this cpu would be great.
View attachment 12678 View attachment 12680 View attachment 12679
Could u tell me where can i buy the ES Rome? it is a great deal with updated for my dual 7551

NORM123

Nov 19, 2019
Yes,it is supported by Asus KRPA-U16(bios 0301) and Dell servers as far as I know,I will get a krpa next week,I will keep posting.
yep,i see the information in Taobao. Maybe it is not a good time for update. I should wait for more es rome

LukeAlexJamesSmith

Jun 29, 2019
Does anyone have both the H11DSI-B bios version 1.0b and 1.0c? My friend is trying to get his system to post however it doesn't seem to be posting, the fans are running and the system is pulling around 130W from the wall with no display output, he tried leaving it 10-15mins or so for memory training however that did not work. Also is the normal H11DSI bios compatible with the H11DSI-B?

LukeAlexJamesSmith

Jun 29, 2019

LukeAlexJamesSmith

Jun 29, 2019
Try to get into the IPMI and check the POST code in "POST Snooping"
Thanks, I will try this - the board doesn't have a display so it can't get into the bios, is there any way to check the IPMI using a laptop? I'm aware it has an IPMI port, but how would I connect to it? I looked at this guide (https://support.pelco.com/s/article...perMicro-hardware-web-interface-1538586723551) and it seems to require bios configuration?
Thank you for all the help everyone : )

MrCake117

Feb 28, 2019
Japan
Reactions: LukeAlexJamesSmith