Overclock your AMD Epyc

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

I.nfraR.ed

Aug 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Tested in Rome 7702 + ASRock EPYCD8-2T + SMU Debug Tool v1.1.1, unfortunately typing 0x5A resulted in "Error SMU Write"

Could you try the old commands:
Code:
EnableOverclocking = 0x24
DisableOverclocking = 0x25
0x24 should force the CPU to manual fixed frequency mode, effectively disabling power limits.
The SMU version gets detected, so this means the addresses are working. It's just the new 0x5A command not working. There's also a newer version of the tool with integrated address scanner, but it might lead to BSOD or other random issues and would need system power off/power on cycle.

Gordan

Nov 18, 2019
Code:
0x24 should force the CPU to manual fixed frequency mode, effectively disabling power limits.
The SMU version gets detected, so this means the addresses are working. It's just the new 0x5A command not working. There's also a newer version of the tool with integrated address scanner, but it might lead to BSOD or other random issues and would need system power off/power on cycle.
Is there a handy hack for doing this on linux?

jerrytsao

MILAN X P5800X
Sep 11, 2016
Shanghai, CN
Code:
v1.2.0

grsychckn

Feb 26, 2019
Ok, I've tried the suggested method of changing affinity to set the pstates on my 2nd ES 30/19 Epyc CPU but it doesn't seem to work. Any ideas? It works with my first CPU (Group 0).

H11DSi BIOS: 1.3 Windows 10

I tried using Nero's ZenStates and a few others but still didn't work. Thanks!

Edit: I think it's the BIOS version. I'm going to try and rollback to 1.01a and try again. What's odd is that I can set P0 for processor group 0 or 1 and group 0 downclocks to 400Mhz. If I set P0 for group 1, it applies correctly to that group only.

Edit 2: Am dumb. I wasn't changing the affinity on the AsusZenSrv.exe. Regardless, I downgraged the BIOS to 1.01a and discovered my error. It is now working but the oddity of the second CPU being downclocked to 400MHz with BIOS 1.3 is something I'm going to test again tonight and update. Below is the direct quote from Nero's OP showing my ignorance.
Once is done go in task manager,find AsusZsSrv.exe (not AsusZenStates.exe) then click on define affinity.

Last edited:

I.nfraR.ed

Aug 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Is there a handy hack for doing this on linux?
Unfortunately, not yet. At least nothing that support these chips. Next goal is some linux tool, because Linux is my main OS too.

Yes, it appears some of the commands are the same as on Matisse, but others are different.
It's a work in progress, but we're getting there.

Trotador

Nov 1, 2016
Madrid, Spain
@MrCake117 @alex_stief what about your watercooling setups? curious to know how does it work

The point of this monoblock is mostly hassle-free VRM cooling. And it's even cheaper than two separate CPU waterblocks, and then you would still need to figure out something for the VRMs.
Good to hear that yours got shipped, I am still waiting for mine. Ordered it back in November. The french really know how to do a general strike :rolleyes:

alex_stief

May 31, 2016
Still waiting for the monoblock, the seller claimed that shipment will happen sometime this week. Edit: in fact, he claimed that it will be shipped on Wednesday morning. Which has already passed without any notification :rolleyes:
All the other parts are already here. There will be an update here my when it's done.

68k-dude

Jan 2, 2020
Does anyone know what the difference is between the H11DSi Rev1.x and Rev2.x boards?

The Specifications state: -

Dual AMD EPYC™ 7001/7002* series Processors (*Board revision 2.x required)

I see from the downloads page from Supermicro that the firmware is a different size.

From the download page.

"BIOS R2.0b only support MB Rev. 2.00 with 32MB SPI flash ROM to support both AMD 7001/7002 series processors"

I wonder if that is the only difference or there is a proper hardware difference. VRM spec is uprated or different ICs somewhere.

Hmmmm

I may take my Firmware rom off and read it out. Can't hurt to have a poke about.

ari2asem

Dec 26, 2018
The Netherlands, Groningen
h11dsi rev.1 supports ONLY epyc 7001 series, has bios chip of 16mb

rev.2 supoorts both epyc 7001 and epyc 7002 series, has bios chip of 32mb.

you can't flash bios rev.2 on rev.1 mainboard. or you will brick your rev.1 board, i guess

rev.2 bios is specific for rev.2 boards.

you can put epyc 7001 cpu on rev.2 board and flash rev.2 bios

I.nfraR.ed

Aug 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Threadripper 3 works with the commands from Matisse, it even has the same cpuid.
What I'm testing now will work for TR3 as well. ZenStates (for Windows) also works on TR3 (TRX40 socket).
But commands and addresses are different for EPYC or at least there's something locked.

charliehorse55

Oct 3, 2019
Threadripper 3 works with the commands from Matisse, it even has the same cpuid.
What I'm testing now will work for TR3 as well. ZenStates (for Windows) also works on TR3 (TRX40 socket).
But commands and addresses are different for EPYC or at least there's something locked.
Thanks for the update. Doesn't sound too promising then. Are the addresses different between EPYC naples and threadripper 2?

I.nfraR.ed

Aug 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Thanks for the update. Doesn't sound too promising then. Are the addresses different between EPYC naples and threadripper 2?
I don't know, probably different. The logic dictates that Threadripper 3000 series should be the same as Rome, since they share the CPUID, but in fact TR is the same as Matisse. It might be just the ES Rome we're testing on, but I remember other people tried some of the commands and they didn't work.
Can't tell anything about Naples though. I believe it might be similar to Colfax and/or Summit Ridge.

IIRC, some people with Naples were able to use the ZenStates (windows) app?

I.nfraR.ed

Aug 20, 2019
Bulgaria
You're right
Code:
watch -n1 "lscpu | grep MHz";
should work the same, but that's not the point.
I just wanted to poll for frequency update. There might be a better way, but I'm not a hardcode linux user.

Last edited: