Overclock your AMD Epyc

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nero243

Oct 28, 2018
Was waiting on elmor evc that der8auer was going to sell looked cool will try rw everything again try to copy register from zenstates overclock to other cpu see what changes wanted to avoid that but the zenstates app works great will buy Elmore evc to support.almost thinking of picking up asrack single socket and splitting up CPUs. Lot of performance on one cpu
You can find some registers you need to add here:
https://www.amd.com/system/files/TechDocs/56255_OSRR.pdf

Happy digging

xdregox

Sep 29, 2018
Yah read that awhile back but I remembered there was a link in German forms I copy awhile back think you were in discussion

nero243

Oct 28, 2018
I can't add anything to ZenStates, i would probably fail creating a hello world programm with javascript.

I bought one of the USB005 i2c devices, it gave me to many headaches only trying to get my ch341a to work in i2c mode.

I also looked the Dr.Blade VRMs up on my mainboard, these are IR TDA21472 rated at 70A maximum output. Really not bad for a low cost server board, a few more phases wouldn't hurt either though. Now i just have to hope that supermicro didn't cheap out on the traces :D

The start post is now updated with some infos about the ES and a RAM test with aida64.

xdregox

Sep 29, 2018
Populate another 4 dims and you will double memory results at 2400 or 2666 I get over 300 and about 83 for latency with 2 socket and 16 Simms at 2666 single rank and about 250 and 86 with 2400 dual rank all slots full. Even got 200 and about 89 with all slots full of 2133 single rank. You should get exactly half of that say 150 to 175 and 80 to 90 latency. Sorry for short form but working on home renos

xdregox

Sep 29, 2018
I would not be happy with system without using all 8 dimms per socket way to inconsistent solid as a rock with 8 per socket even at 2133. Beats my dual Intel 2683 v3 all core turbo in ever benchmark except single thread gaming with the overclock zenstates should be double with everything multicore and memory bandwith and tied in games and memory. latency.

nero243

Oct 28, 2018
I don't have another 4 spare dimms lying around right now.

I think the latency is ES related, you're running retail chips right? Also which mainboard are you using?

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
I am going to be branching TPC to remake it for Zen... so much in there is just... not applicable now.
But there is a lot of monitoring stuff in there... and real clock reads...
Just a matter of dropping in the appropriate registers given the BKDG (bios kernel dev guide)

Parsing through it, tempted to remake it in Python.

Expect linuxbench results for overclocked EPYCs in a week or so...
As they are in colo... I won't be futzing with voltage first go around.
My profile pic is harbringer, my quad 61xx OC rig, Cinebench WR setter for about a year till bricktown came out and beat it by a solid 30%, but hey, 2k server vs 50k server, I'll take it.

In anycase, not my first go at Overclocking AMD server chips... Nor my last (evil laughter)

Reactions: RageBone and Zhang

xdregox

Sep 29, 2018
Nero I even mixed 2400 and 2133 and got better results and stability with 8 dimms but yah 2666 expensive.8 per couple of you had 16 slots per couple it would down lock all ram to 2133 anyway.

nero243

Oct 28, 2018
I am going to be branching TPC to remake it for Zen... so much in there is just... not applicable now.
But there is a lot of monitoring stuff in there... and real clock reads...
Just a matter of dropping in the appropriate registers given the BKDG (bios kernel dev guide)

Parsing through it, tempted to remake it in Python.

Expect linuxbench results for overclocked EPYCs in a week or so...
As they are in colo... I won't be futzing with voltage first go around.
My profile pic is harbringer, my quad 61xx OC rig, Cinebench WR setter for about a year till bricktown came out and beat it by a solid 30%, but hey, 2k server vs 50k server, I'll take it.

In anycase, not my first go at Overclocking AMD server chips... Nor my last (evil laughter)
TPC would be great but don't forget that a bios mod would be better for all OS's. Everything is already there including DRAM OC features, i checked gigabyte and supermicro.
smbbcpview.jpg

I already asked for help in the awesome winraid forum Unlocking Supermicro H11SSL-i Bios Menus- could need some help but haven't gotten much further yet.

Nero I even mixed 2400 and 2133 and got better results and stability with 8 dimms but yah 2666 expensive.8 per couple of you had 16 slots per couple it would down lock all ram to 2133 anyway.
Yes you're right, but the system is already overkill for my usecases like this. Which mainboard are you running? If it's not a supermicro board the bios menu might be easy to unlock.

Reactions: chraac

xdregox

Sep 29, 2018
It's the supermicro h11 dsi-nt there is a unlocked bios for your board floating around to scared to flash it to my dual board.guy said it opened some flu features I downloaded it but have to look

nero243

Oct 28, 2018
Thanks alot for this, if it works it's easy to port it to your board since the Supermicro bios's are all very similar.

The RAM features would be pretty nice for me, since my 2666MHz CL18 runs with CL21 on my board...

So my little usb005 toy arrived, i can disable the OCP and set the voltage directly through the IR voltage controller. Something is still triggering a system shutdown after multiple cinebench runs, i can't see anything getting to hot and the disabled OCP seems to work. Normally the maximum current is set at 240A, but my CPU can successfully draw over 270A. I have to do some research on whats going on here, i hope it's not my PSU.

PowIR inuse.jpg

As you can see (loop1 on the right) the voltage droop is pretty bad, with set 1.25V it drops to 1.17V under load.

Last edited:

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
i hope you didn't pay the 60Bucks that mauser and infineon want for that usb thing.

Did you ?

nero243

Oct 28, 2018
Yes i did... But i was running out of other options. Now i know which chip they are using maybe i can flash a $10 china dongle with the IR firmware.

But the options in the PowIRCenter are pretty cool, much more than i need but flashing permanent changes on the voltage controller is for example very usefull.