Overclock your AMD Epyc

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nero243

Oct 28, 2018
I've been getting alot of PM's asking how to OC an AMD Epyc.

All you need to do is write the OC to the CPU MSR. As a reliable tool (for windows) for this i modded AsusZenStates to run on non Asus boards, you can download it here:
ZenStatesAll(2)

The sourcecode for AsusZenStates was made public and I.nfraR.ed picked up development:
ZenStates

If you don't trust my version you can simply do it yourself by editing the check vendor function in the original .exe via ilspy and reflexil, it's really not that hard. For Linux you can find the python script ZenStates-Linux on GitHub.

So about multiple CPUs configuration you just need to start AsusZenstates as usual,click on apply in order to apply your custom pstates settings to CPU0.

-Once is done go in task manager,find AsusZsSrv.exe (not AsusZenStates.exe) then click on define affinity.
-After you'll change Group 0 to group 1,check "use all core" and click Ok.
-Now you're able to modify the CPU1 pstates by clicking on apply in AsusZenstates app.

In order to revert to CPU0 just change group 0 and don't forget to check "use all core" in define affinity .
Each time you reboot the computer you'll need to apply this process.
If you get an "access denied" error when you want to change the cpu affinity just kill the process and restart it .

I managed to pull of 3.4 GHz @ 1.3V on my cheapo ES and 3.8 GHz @ 1.375V with only 16 cores enabled. The VRM OCP will probably shutoff your PC if you're going higher with the voltage.

The 2014 were with my ES CPU @ stock 1.6 GHz

Enjoy and keep an eye on your VRM temps.

Info about the 1S Engineering Samples:

I have mine for a few month now and did some testing.

Mine won't work with AGESA updates newer than 1.0.0.3, the system will post and sometimes boot but it'll constantly run into bluescreens and freezes.

Also microcodes newer than version 29 won't work, the system will post but run in a bluescreen when booting windows (haven't tested linux yet). But mainboard vendors probably won't update them, because they are for the threadripper CPUs (Epyc ES and TR1 CPUID: 800F11, Epyc Retail 800F12). Maybe the microcode file for Windows needs to be deleted in the future.

I'm running the epyc in quadchannel and the performance in cinebench is really inconsistent with the 1 DIMM per Die setup, playing around with the tool CorePrio and local dynamic mode helps in some cases but is not a solution for everyday use. Populating the Channels closest to the CPU stabilized the performance alot for me, but the memory performance tested with aida64 suffers severly from this.

Here's a RAM test i did with aida64, with the optimal quadchannel 1 DIMM per Die setup. Latency is really not looking good on these CPUs.

Imgur

AMD CBS Unlock for RAM OC:

(P-states Unlocked, but not working on 1.0c + ES CPU, 1.3 + retail not tested)

So if anyone wants to DIY this mod heres what you need for SuperMicro boards:

UEFITool
https://puissanceled.com/vrac/Bios_modding/softs/UEFITool.exe
IFR Extractor
https://puissanceled.com/vrac/Bios_modding/softs/Universal_IFR_Extractor.exe
HexEdit:
I'm using FlexHex for comparison etc and SiSoft Hex-Editor for quick changes
AMIBCP 5.02.0031
Search it, i won't link because AMI often gets mad.
NotePad++
standard editor works too, but the formatting is shit

This is only for Supermicro Boards (16mb ROMS only!), for different Boards with fully locked CBS you have to find another Option like Eventlog you can give up. Boards with partially unlocked CBS should only need the BCP edit and maybe a IFR edit of the CBS menu.
Open your rom in UEFITool, use text search and find the following things AMITSE CbsSetupDXE EventLogSetupPage

Extract the PE32 image Section from each one as-is.
Run CbsSetupDXE and EventLogSetupPage through the IFRexctractor and open the .txt's in NotePad++
Note down the first marked string from Form Set and add the part from Form, do this for both IFR Files (cbs and event).

CBS is almost always:
Code:
E3 35 45 B0 04 30 46 49 9E B7 14 94 28 98 30 53 (00 70)
strings.png
Open AMITSE in HexEdit search the String from EventLogPage, and replace it with the CBS string. Save.
Go back to UEFITool and Replace AS-IS the AMITSE module with the modded one. Save the ROM.
Open the ROM in AMIBCP and spend the next 30 minutes setting every single CBS Entry from default to User. Save again.
Might be unnecessary, setting Combo CBS to 4 in BCP might also unlock everything. Still need to test this.

Flash.

If submenus are still missing you have to do an IFR Edit.
Explained here if it's a simple lock (switching 46 02 to 47 02):
Modding the Asus Prime X370 Pro BIOS

If you don't have the 46 02 lock:

Downloads

H11DSi(-NT same bios):
V1.3, tested working:
Amitsemodbcp1.3
V1.0C tested fixed has some cosmetic issues:
1.0c cleaned did

Both of them have also a patch in the CBS P-states to select a DID lower than 8, but this didn't make the P-states work.

H11SSLi:
V1.0B untested:
H11SSL1.0bMod
V1.3 untested:
H11SSLi1.3Mod
V2.0 Naples untested posting no cbs:
MediaFire
V2.0 Rome tested:
H11SSLv2.0SSPMod

Last edited:

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Same as on previous Gens, ES chips are fully unlocked. Couldn't get my 1s chips to post unfortunately.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
The retail CPUs are also unlocked
Going to need some qualifiers.

Fully unlocked as in apply any multiplier or are you simply forcing turbo states to all cores?

Are they also voltage unlocked?

I um... watercooled a 4p g34 es box and overclocked all 48c to 3.8ghz... I am drooling at the possibilities of rebuilding harbringer ....
I can add the new MSR registers to Turion power control... an old program originally meant for getting turion laptops power usage under control... got hijacked for overclocking many generations of Opterons. :D

nero243

Oct 28, 2018
der8auer did all of his epyc stuff with retail chips, but he went the painful way of doing everything by hand with rw-everything.

I had my fair share of G34 OC experience with ES CPUs and retail ones. Turion Power Control and Phenom MSR Tweaker were great but the only real way to go was the OCNG firmware for Supermicro boards. OCNG5: OC firmware for Supermicro AMD G34 platforms

I don't want to brag but i'm proud of this nonsense. I had a 5 CPU Rig with 3x 16C Opteron and 2x X5650 Xeons on 1 Waterloop as mining rig lol. My opterons hit 4.2 GHz but after a few month of full load @ 3.4 GHz they degraded so i couldn't claim my sweet hwbot entry.

Full galery with milled out waterbricks here: Opteron OC and Watercooling

Last edited:
Reactions: nothingto

xdregox

Sep 29, 2018
Thank you so much for this nero243. currently only working on 1 of my epyc 7501 dual socket board any ideas. can all core one cpu to 3ghz 1.05 volts up to 7666 cinebench but would like to apply to other cpu. Cant get multiplier past 3ghz though maybe fid/ did thing. You disable core performance boost c1e or c6 any guidance would be appreciate.!

nero243

Oct 28, 2018
Some FID DID combos did not work for me. Try a DID of 2 and set the FID according to the desired frequency. Core Perf. boost is disabled for me, because it wasn't working properly with the ES in the first place.
Zenstates.jpg
I also can't confirm that this will work on all mainboards, some might have a locked MSR.

xdregox

Sep 29, 2018
Thank you for your help.i have the supermicro h11 DSi nt. Works on one could any ideas if there is a exe command for could affinity. My bios settings be the same probably you leave could at auto or enable cstates performance determine etc.voltage seems to apply fine ctdp manual doesn't seem to override Max 170 watt.how you check stability p95 watching vrms close.der8auer was boiling vrms hehe novac to the rescue.

Sorry autocorrect

Will let you know if unlocked shortly these are retail

Don't seem to need much voltage for cinebench

Last edited by a moderator:

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Shame DT AC hung up his cnc mill and stopped making custom waterblocks... I had 4 G34 blocks made... looks like I am going to want 2 SP3 blocks.

nero243

Oct 28, 2018
Thank you for your help.i have the supermicro h11 DSi nt. Works on one could any ideas if there is a exe command for could affinity. My bios settings be the same probably you leave could at auto or enable cstates performance determine etc.voltage seems to apply fine ctdp manual doesn't seem to override Max 170 watt.how you check stability p95 watching vrms close.der8auer was boiling vrms hehe novac to the rescue.

Sorry autocorrect

Will let you know if unlocked shortly these are retail

Don't seem to need much voltage for cinebench
If it only applies it to one CPU in the dual socket board you might have to write the other CPU MSR manually via RW-Everything. AsusZenStates wasn't designed for multiple CPUs.

cTDP doesn't matter, once the CPU goes into OC mode it won't throttle no matter what. The only thing holding you back will be the VRM overcurrent protection and heatsink. I'll make a VRM waterblock for my board when my college exams are over.

xdregox

Sep 29, 2018
If it only applies it to one CPU in the dual socket board you might have to write the other CPU MSR manually via RW-Everything. AsusZenStates wasn't designed for multiple CPUs.

cTDP doesn't matter, once the CPU goes into OC mode it won't throttle no matter what. The only thing holding you back will be the VRM overcurrent protection and heatsink. I'll make a VRM waterblock for my board when my college exams are over.

nero243

Oct 28, 2018
Shame DT AC hung up his cnc mill and stopped making custom waterblocks... I had 4 G34 blocks made... looks like I am going to want 2 SP3 blocks.
I'll have to upgrade my waterblock too. I'm currently using a aquacomputer cuplex kryos with the AM3 mounting kit (not pretty but works), but the waterblock is to small for the huge CPU.

Patriot

Apr 18, 2011
Looks good but big chips for sure it's the vrms we need blocked
My H11Dsi board already has the VRMs sinked, perhaps they need some more direct airflow though.

Just as a guidance... traditionally don't go crazy on cpu volts... Supermicro is pretty good about vrm design, keep them cool you are fine... However... the traces to the driver circuit.. that goes first. Or atleast did on my quad G34 board. Something ~300w+/cpu

nero243

Oct 28, 2018
You won't get into dangerous territory on these boards the OCP will shutoff before and if the VRMs get to hot the system will automatically thermal throttle.

I have a usb to I2C device maybe i can disable the OCP at some point, but i don't have alot of experince with this stuff.

RageBone

Jul 11, 2017
@nero243 the USB to i2c / smBus isn't really necessary.
i mean, everything is connected via smBus, so you can reach those controllers from within the OS.
Most often they are actually abstracted by a Driver, for example on GPUs, and the driver then has an API for voltage, etc. control that every tool uses.

And there lies the real problem, those VRM controllers do have Firmware, and a carp ton of Registers for info and settings.
Sadly, those Register-Maps and everything else of interest is most often not publicly available.
NDAs everywhere. Probably because of NDA / Proprietary Voltage Control Standards like Intels VR12 and 12.5.

Elmore with his EVC has made this tool with such knowledge. He worked for ASUS a while back.
So, good luck getting what you need : )

nero243

Oct 28, 2018
I've already dug through the datasheets, there's no info about the SMBus. Althought it is possible, there is a software called VRMtool to control IR voltage controllers on AMD GPUs for example.

All the I2C registers are publicly available in the IR software PowIRCenter. The I2C device from IR for their controllers comes at a price of 60€, i haven't seen the elmor evc for sale anywhere but i think it won't come in cheap either. But it should be possible to get the adresses and values from the software and manually write them with any i2c to usb device.

PowIRCenter is available for download here:
Power Center Software - Infineon Technologies
The IR USB to I2C device is for sale here:
USB005 Infineon / IR | Mouser

Edit:

This is what it looks like, to disable the OCP on this (random) controller it should work by writing the value xDD to the adress x6D and the slave i2c adress should be x08. Feel free to correct me if this is BS, i only used my i2c/uart device to flash OpenWRT on my WiFi router...

powir.jpg

Last edited:

xdregox

Sep 29, 2018
Was waiting on elmor evc that der8auer was going to sell looked cool will try rw everything again try to copy register from zenstates overclock to other cpu see what changes wanted to avoid that but the zenstates app works great will buy Elmore evc to support.almost thinking of picking up asrack single socket and splitting up CPUs. Lot of performance on one cpu