OUT WITH THE VERY OLD :D

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Finally after 2 years on my fiber circuit I tossed my old T1 hardware...

No going back.

Literally, no going back, they're not maintaining the copper anymore here.

Maybe some 5G this summer well see a handful of new towers, one of which MIGHT reach me, and make my cell useful at home :D

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
We've been on 4G since we moved in here. Also can't wait for 5G.

I wonder if all these waves floating around are having a profound impact on general biological health and longevity... I guess we'll never know because everything's a conspiracy theory these days.

Out of interest, when you say 'tossed', do you mean fleabay or actually tossed tossed? lol

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
We've been on 4G since we moved in here. Also can't wait for 5G.

I wonder if all these waves floating around are having a profound impact on general biological health and longevity... I guess we'll never know because everything's a conspiracy theory these days.

Out of interest, when you say 'tossed', do you mean fleabay or actually tossed tossed? lol
I was on 3G rotating air cards for transfer allotments :D then the T1 for a couple years.
There's some WiFi and seed growing pictures\story floating around where they all died vs. no-wiFi they lived, unsure the validity though.

Tossed tossed it, do you know anyone installing a T1 circuit these days? I tossed my spare hardware a long time ago, I want to think I may have paid 60$ on ebay a couple years ago after the CF card died I wanted to be ready to swap in a spare :D

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
Well if world-war 3 breaks out and we go back to the dark-ages, who knows, T1 might be top dog again, another conspiracy theory :D

Personally we did look into getting a leased-line to our home, we live on a hill all alone basically, however the quote for digging the trench from the exchange to our yard was enough to make us laugh at the fact we even considered it an option (multi-millionaire disposable income territory)... not just the digging, but also all the archaeological surveys and planning commitee approvals and whatnot.

I guess an increase in male baldness and plant disease is a fair price to pay in exchange for faster wireless internet lmao

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Well if world-war 3 breaks out and we go back to the dark-ages, who knows, T1 might be top dog again, another conspiracy theory :D

Personally we did look into getting a leased-line to our home, we live on a hill all alone basically, however the quote for digging the trench from the exchange to our yard was enough to make us laugh at the fact we even considered it an option (multi-millionaire disposable income territory)... not just the digging, but also all the archaeological surveys and planning commitee approvals and whatnot.

I guess an increase in male baldness and plant disease is a fair price to pay in exchange for faster wireless internet lmao
I was quoted 1/2 MILL from Comcast to bring in a circuit to my business location at that time which was just to cross the street. Needless to say I closed down that location, even if power was free, and I had a corner office with floor to ceiling windows DSL only goes so far.

StevenDTX

Aug 17, 2016
I was quoted 1/2 MILL from Comcast to bring in a circuit to my business location at that time which was just to cross the street. Needless to say I closed down that location, even if power was free, and I had a corner office with floor to ceiling windows DSL only goes so far.
I put in an offer on a house last year. It was 99% perfect for us. I then started calling around about internet. I backed out of the contract very quickly! Charter wanted $300k to bring in maybe 50Mbs. They said, "maybe you can get the neighbors to split it with you."

I still havent bought a new house as I have not found a piece of property where I want to live that has decent internet service. I am hoping 5G might be the answer.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
I put in an offer on a house last year. It was 99% perfect for us. I then started calling around about internet. I backed out of the contract very quickly! Charter wanted $300k to bring in maybe 50Mbs. They said, "maybe you can get the neighbors to split it with you."

I still havent bought a new house as I have not found a piece of property where I want to live that has decent internet service. I am hoping 5G might be the answer.
The funny part is a year or so earlier at our house we didn't have cable TV or Internet only DSL so I called Comcast and they scheduled a contractor, tore up half the street to their box, trenched to my house, then into my yard to their box, and set it all up, etc... Free, no contract, residential cheap $70\mo service.

Yet they couldn't go across the street (a named road) in a business park to my building, where every unit was rented\sold out and we only had DSL... ridiculous.

Dreece

Jan 22, 2019
Well at least the relative quotes are not that different across the pond.

Honestly get real envious of some of those other countries where every home has had 100mbit fibre internet for over a decade and the past few years installations peaking 1-10gig now!

I thought we're supposed to be the big boys on the block, but our residential digital infrastructure tends to be a total joke in comparison, and even then the big companies rip us dry for medieval bandwidth. :mad:

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
The funny part is a year or so earlier at our house we didn't have cable TV or Internet only DSL so I called Comcast and they scheduled a contractor, tore up half the street to their box, trenched to my house, then into my yard to their box, and set it all up, etc... Free, no contract, residential cheap $70\mo service.

Yet they couldn't go across the street (a named road) in a business park to my building, where every unit was rented\sold out and we only had DSL... ridiculous.
That's the difference between residential (where the franchise agreement probably states an obligation to provide service) vs. business (where there is no obligation). That sort of thing is why there's an ongoing battle between New York City and Verizon FiOS over the meanning of "passed locations".

My house is over-served - I have my own fiber (installed decades ago) between the house and a nearby college where I used to run the computer center, Verizon Hi-cap (non-FiOS) fiber for some DS3s no longer in use (the FLM2400 / 600 / 150 are still in the basement and powered, though), Verizon FiOS directly into a main distribution unit (so no sharing of the fiber back to the CO), and a Comcast node dedicated to my house. There are also 12 copper pairs from Verizon that don't go anywhere (former T1s and voice).