OSX HBA IT mode cards

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

raimond

Oct 5, 2017
First off, I'm sorry to revive such an old thread but I guess my question is somewhat relevant to this thread.

I attached a Sun F80 800GB WarpDrive (converted to RAID mode) to my Mac Pro mid-2010. The WarpDrive works with the attached kext by kurbads with the cMP in OSX El Capitan but I am not able to boot from the said WarpDrive.

Any chance someone here knows how I will be able to do have the WarpDrive bootable?

Read and Write speeds are pretty decent 900MB/s Write / 1200 MB/s Read.

Sun F80 800GB WarpDrive is an LSI SAS2008 controller w/ 4 x 200GB Sandforce Gen 2 ssd attached to the card.

dragonme

Apr 12, 2016
I will try and give it a shot.. but I am thinking .. probably never.

The real mac pro is UEFI based only, and apples UEFI would have to have an option rom present for it to be bootable

on a 'hack' clover is a simulated UEFI environment and sometimes you and add an efi driver module to clovers drivers to get things to boot

it would also depend on how that lsi2008 was being presented... is it megarec ... I think there is a kext driver out there for megarec based lsi cards in raid mode by duckscry or some variant of that.. but that is driver... kext, i.e. after the firmware has decided its bootable..

I think you are going to be stuck with it as non bootable..

I would boot a standard SSD and have my larger applications and my primary user account on the warp drive .. that will speed things up nicely.. just remember to leave at least one admin account on the boot SSD in case the warp drive doesn't come up or some other weirdness at least you can boot the OS and have a admin account to figure things out

my 2 cents

another driver that is floating around is one that I found.. its ashton and it was for lsi cards not in megarec mode.. like HBA mode.. its been modded a couple times but again not sure that would make it available as a boot drive...

if you hold the option key at boot, and have a bootable OS on the F80 and its not showing up as a boot option.. you will likely need to hack your firmware or perhaps use the clover boot loader on a real mac but be careful as you can brick a real mac with clover if you are not careful

report back if you get it working

xin

Feb 20, 2023
First off, I'm sorry to revive such an old thread but I guess my question is somewhat relevant to this thread.

I attached a Sun F80 800GB WarpDrive (converted to RAID mode) to my Mac Pro mid-2010. The WarpDrive works with the attached kext by kurbads with the cMP in OSX El Capitan but I am not able to boot from the said WarpDrive.

Any chance someone here knows how I will be able to do have the WarpDrive bootable?

Read and Write speeds are pretty decent 900MB/s Write / 1200 MB/s Read.

Sun F80 800GB WarpDrive is an LSI SAS2008 controller w/ 4 x 200GB Sandforce Gen 2 ssd attached to the card.
is it because of 8k sectors? how to format it back to 512/4k ? thx
I keep getting these tx_ fs_ errors and the efi partition not working