Original ECS Liva 32GB eMMC and 2GB RAM - $79 on newegg.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

RandyC

Mar 1, 2014
Portland, OR
These have been mentioned here before, but this is the cheapest I have ever seen these.

I use one for my ssh admin server, and the other for testing Windows 10 and Linux distros.

Black ECS LIVA 2GB DDR3L RAM installed 32GB eMMC Storage - Newegg.com

I can't figure out how to install Ubuntu Server directly onto the eMMC storage, but I installed it tothe USB 3.0 port on a flash drive, and it works great. Ubuntu desktop, Linux Mint, and Windows 10 all work decently well.

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Looks like something fun to play around with. How long has yours been running 24/7?

RandyC

Mar 1, 2014
Portland, OR
It has only been running a few months. It does get warm under load, and an external table fan is not a bad idea, especially in the summer.

I am only using it as my ssh jumpbox with all of my ssh keys. I have multiple backups of the usb key, and I can use the second one if the first one ever burns out. (which seems unlikely.)

I would really only consider this a toy though. Like a raspberry pi, more for seeing what you can squeeze out of it than using it as a production server.

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
That's about what I figured. Kind of like the mini-amps, and mini-speakers... this should be a fun project :)

canta

Nov 26, 2014
These have been mentioned here before, but this is the cheapest I have ever seen these.

I use one for my ssh admin server, and the other for testing Windows 10 and Linux distros.

Black ECS LIVA 2GB DDR3L RAM installed 32GB eMMC Storage - Newegg.com

I can't figure out how to install Ubuntu Server directly onto the eMMC storage, but I installed it tothe USB 3.0 port on a flash drive, and it works great. Ubuntu desktop, Linux Mint, and Windows 10 all work decently well.
good price :D..

as my understandng on linux distro, create tmpfs (ram drive) and move /var/log and other directory that always get written every mins and seconds. this will kill usb key soon .
for fun is good, for long term is not:D.
eMMC not possible on ubuntu server, need kernel that supports eMMC.

I am more interested on embedded boards that have many gpio/interupts/i2c