Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance available - What to test?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Markus

Oct 25, 2015
Hello guys,

got a ZFS Storage Appliance from Oracle here combined with an Exadata (Quarter-Rack). They are connected with 40 Gbit/s Infiniband and I can test what you want :)

Any ideas? Any hints how to test throughput?

Won't expect too much as this appliance just have 24 spinners and RAM.

Regards
Markus

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
That appliance is the backup version ? I thought all versions of the ZFS storage appliance intended for workload these days are all flash ?

Don’t really have anything to test just wondering.

Markus

Oct 25, 2015
This appliance will be used for the first backup tier. It will be replicated to another location and also be backuped to SAN.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Well you should of course be testing your primary use case;)
I assume that will be streaming writes from your backup clients? Distributed or aggregated depending on how your environment is set up? Single or multiple write streams at the same time...?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
When testing backup you want to fill the thing and keep backing up, you want to see the performance while it’s doing garbage collection so to speak. (Deleting snapshots)

Markus

Oct 25, 2015
I think the oracle guys want to backup by using RMAN. Probably I will suggest to fire up sevaral test dbs an simulate the real behavior...

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I think the oracle guys want to backup by using RMAN. Probably I will suggest to fire up sevaral test dbs an simulate the real behavior...
But you need to load the DB’s so also creating decent amount of redo logs to really simulate a production load on the backup system, since I assume redolog backups would be hourly ? (With log shipping to standby DB a continuous process also)