Oracle ZFS Storage Appliance available - What to test?

Discussion in 'NAS Systems and Networked Home and SMB Software' started by Markus, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Markus

Markus Member

Hello guys,

got a ZFS Storage Appliance from Oracle here combined with an Exadata (Quarter-Rack). They are connected with 40 Gbit/s Infiniband and I can test what you want :)

Any ideas? Any hints how to test throughput?

Won't expect too much as this appliance just have 24 spinners and RAM.

Regards
    Markus

2. Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

That appliance is the backup version ? I thought all versions of the ZFS storage appliance intended for workload these days are all flash ?

Don’t really have anything to test just wondering.

3. Markus

Markus Member

This appliance will be used for the first backup tier. It will be replicated to another location and also be backuped to SAN.

4. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

Well you should of course be testing your primary use case;)
    I assume that will be streaming writes from your backup clients? Distributed or aggregated depending on how your environment is set up? Single or multiple write streams at the same time...?

5. Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

When testing backup you want to fill the thing and keep backing up, you want to see the performance while it’s doing garbage collection so to speak. (Deleting snapshots)

6. Markus

Markus Member

I think the oracle guys want to backup by using RMAN. Probably I will suggest to fire up sevaral test dbs an simulate the real behavior...

7. Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

But you need to load the DB’s so also creating decent amount of redo logs to really simulate a production load on the backup system, since I assume redolog backups would be hourly ? (With log shipping to standby DB a continuous process also)