Oracle VirtualBox with access via phpVirtualBox on OmniOS

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zos

Oct 27, 2013
Hi,

I wrote a small script to install Oracle's VirtualBox 4.3 on OmniOS accessable via phpVirtualBox 4.3 frontend.

This may be useful if you're using a barebone setup of OmniOS and you're interested in Virtualization using VirtualBox.

Prerequisites:
(1) OmniOS (tested only, perhaps it may work on other OS like OpenIndiana too)
(2) napp-it
(3) AMP-stack (see free napp-it extension ampo, this script installs required php-Extension soap.so)

You can download it here: napp-it // webbased ZFS NAS/SAN appliance for OmniOS, OpenIndiana and Solaris downloads

Today I sent gea a newer version of the script, please be patient until he's uploaded it to his website.

The main differences between both versions are:
1. improved logging
2. daemon vboxwebsrv has become a SMF-service, so after restarting your server the service will be available automatically.

Have fun,
zos

Last edited:

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE

scobar

Nov 24, 2013
It appears my vbox user disappeared, along with ampo and mediatomb...

Reinstalled everything, trying to get vbox back up and am being greeted with:

Code:
Exception Object
(
    [message:protected] => Could not connect to host (http://127.0.0.1:18083/)
    [string:Exception:private] => 
    [code:protected] => 64
    [file:protected] => /opt/local/share/httpd/htdocs/phpvirtualbox/lib/ajax.php
    [line:protected] => 128
    [trace:Exception:private] => Array
        (
        )

[previous:Exception:private] => 
)

This is from the webgui.

Prior to my install going on vacation, it did work, I had a few ubuntu vm's running. Not seeing much on google for this error.

zos

Oct 27, 2013
free napp-it extension "phpvirtualbox", new release

Today I sent gea a new release of the free napp-it extension phpvirtualbox including the following versions:
- Oracle VirtualBox 4.3.6
- phpvirtualbox 4.3.1

If anybody will find bugs, please let me know!

StephD

Dec 17, 2013
Today I sent gea a new release of the free napp-it extension phpvirtualbox including the following versions:
- Oracle VirtualBox 4.3.6
- phpvirtualbox 4.3.1

If anybody will find bugs, please let me know!
Not sure I'd call it a bug but I get permission error when I try to connect host cdrom from vm. Workaround is to create and share ZFS pool to upload ISO image to and then browse to it from vm drive settings.

methos

Dec 19, 2013
Canton, OH

zos

Oct 27, 2013
Oracle's latest release of VirtualBox, version 5.0.0 is out since July, 9 with the following features:
- Paravirtualization Support for Windows and Linux Guests
- Improved CPU Utilization
- Support of USB 3.0 Devices
- Bi-Directional Drag and Drop Support for Windows
- Disk Image Encryption

Finally phpvirtualbox 5.0-0 was released last sunday, which was the missing piece for updating the phpvbox-script for OmniOS. Up until @gea has uploaded the script to napp-it.org, you can install it with

wget -O - www.wp10455695.server-he.de/phpvbox | perl

Note: This script is not for updating an existing phpvbox-installation.

Reactions: nle and lmk