Oracle Solaris 11.4

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
back when Oracle closed off open source people started realizing its ALL ABOUT THE DATA...

ZFS was on a wining path, and with open source helping move it in both features and testing it was well on its way to becoming a possible new standard.

Now that openZFS and oracle ZFS have hard forked and are no longer compatible, in my opinion, openZFS will win due to cross platform compatibility and momentum

Oracle is dead
Oracle is not dead but I would also use Oracle Solaris mainly when a support guarantee until 2034 is important or when best of all (SMB) performance is wanted. While the multithreadad kernelbased SMB server on the free Solaris forks ex OmniOS is fast, it never reached Solaris with native ZFS.

Without a support contract, I would not consider Solaris. There is a reason why OmniOS offers bug and security fixes every 2-4 weeks.

RobertCO

Jan 2, 2022
napp-it up from 21.06 supports Solaris 11 CBE
Any thoughts on the new 11.4 CBE? Worth it to upgrade to it from Omni-OS 151038? <--- dumb question removed. :) cant import media pool on S11.4 (tested it)

Last edited:

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Oracle Solaris and native ZFS > v28/5 is incompatible to Open-ZFS and the free Solaris fork Illumos/ OmniOS.