Oracle rumours

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
Solaris being canned, at least 50% of teams to be RIF'd in short term - post regarding Oracle Corp. layoffs

Sun was the most innovative IT firm years ago with the best engineers and concepts.
Seems that many of their superiour ideas survive only because they were opensourced by Sun like ZFS, dtrace, the zones, the Linux container concept or servicemanagement and adopted by others. The Solaris OS with included projects like the ZFS integrated NFS/SMB/iSCSI services, Comstar or Crossbow may survive also only because the OpenSource fork Illumos as the successor of OpenSolaris that may become now the "real" Solaris.

Only rumours at the moment, but Oracle seems the worst what could happen to Sun and others who were bought by Oracle. More or less the Adobe project. Buy it and stop it as a possible competitor??

Last edited:

pgh5278

Oct 25, 2012
Australia
RIF's and retrenchments seem to be part of our workplace the last few years. Was retrenched 1 yr ago, along with 400,000+ folks in my industry over the last 3 yrs around the world, those jobs are gone, a few might come back slowly. Hopefully the oracle folks can find other jobs in same industry..

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Sad, but I saw this coming when Sun got acquired by Oracle years ago. But then again, I kind of saw Sun going down hill back when Linux was starting to enter the enterprise space - Solaris 2.6 was such a pain to get into a usable state if you planned to use any open source technologies; remember having to build our own packages for various open source tools that we needed or downloading from sunfreeware.org. They made a huge comeback with Solaris 10, but it was too late... and then the Oracle acquisition was the beginning of the end. I was a consultant for Sun, and knew folks there... it was a special place and lots of smart folks. I'm thankful for many of the technologies that came out of that company and the people who built it.

Reactions: nk215

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Reminded me that my first day of work at Oracle.
In the late 80, Oracle management started outsourcing my work.
I ended up staying at the job less than a handful of years and had a great time at Oracle.

gea

Dec 31, 2010
DE
what seems clear now (read the comments from Alan Coopersmith at the mailing list)

Up to 2021 we will see ongoing releases with v11. (11.next).
This basically means that there is no incompatibility to v.11 planned. This is what v12 stands basically for.

Support is guaranteed until 2034
Re: [OpenIndiana-discuss] The end is near

Database server and Fishwork storage have their own roadmap.

Last edited: