Oracle F40 - bricked? help recover. Have backup files.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Maxix

Feb 12, 2020
Drive showed up as 4x 100gb indiviual drives, and that wasn't what I wanted, so I tried to follow this guide (The only one on the entire internet, it can seem).
Converting a Sun/Oracle F40/F80 Flash Accelerator to a LSI/Seagate Warpdrive | Kenneth Kasilag

I successfully followed the steps until
Choose 2. Download firmware (update the FLASH) and select the extracted controller firmware you obtained in Step Two.
Where it didn't accept what I was feeding it. checksum was bad and more.

In the step previous to that, I however also accidentally choose to delete "Seeprom"???! Was that a disaster?, but didn't result in my next issue.. least right away.

Lots of desperation followed trying to flash, until now where "lsiutil", cannot see the card.

I have flashed other cards to IT mode before, but this process just baffles me.

I have the sbr_backup.bin which i have been trying to write with lsirec, without any change.
I also have the complete other backup file from the other backup step.
Along with screenshots of all info outputs.

Help would greatly be appriciated, I just want to get back to where atleast lsiutil can see it again.

Last edited:

Maxix

Feb 12, 2020
Does DDCLI see the card ?
Nope, tried in both Linux and Windows with DDCLI.

The card is seen however by the system ofc. I feel like there should be a manual way to force lsiutil or ddcli to "write to this pcie address", but maybe it doesn't work that way.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Have a look over here
Click on 'LSI Seagate files' (should be 545MB as its still uploading as I write this)
I have uploaded all the tools and FW I have for the LSI/Seagate/SUN F40/F80 and others
I concentrated on the F80 as that is what I crossflashed to IR mode, but you get the idea anything missing you should be able to find F40 equivalents for
Have a looksy through, most should be the latest versions
Also a heap of other tools for various OS's that might be of interest

Also have a look here
Scroll down to SAS2Flash (Which can also use PCI address)
See if this can see the card, it may not even though the F40/F80 are SAS2008 based in IT mode as it runs a special FW

If you can write the SBR you card is not dead, just need to find a way for flasher to write FW to it

Reactions: Maxix

Maxix

Feb 12, 2020
Have a look over here
Click on 'LSI Seagate files' (should be 545MB as its still uploading as I write this)
I have uploaded all the tools and FW I have for the LSI/Seagate/SUN F40/F80 and others
I concentrated on the F80 as that is what I crossflashed to IR mode, but you get the idea anything missing you should be able to find F40 equivalents for
Have a looksy through, most should be the latest versions
Also a heap of other tools for various OS's that might be of interest

Also have a look here
Scroll down to SAS2Flash (Which can also use PCI address)
See if this can see the card, it may not even though the F40/F80 are SAS2008 based in IT mode as it runs a special FW

If you can write the SBR you card is not dead, just need to find a way for flasher to write FW to it
Thank you a lot :) very good collection of resources. It seems to be the end now of sourcing tools every time!!.

Before I did quickly try sas2flash too, but only concluded that it couldn't see it. If it's possible to write with only PCI Address, then thats what i think will do it. I will indeed try, probably with the original backup flash file first.

Do you have idea of what deleting that "Seeprom" could have done? that I mentioned. (That lsiutil, should really had, had a confirmation box :eek::D). Tho, that might also be a thing that can be rescued with a proper flashing again.

Side point
In some capacity, the seller i bought from, could actually be seen as making an misleading description "400gb SDD", many sellers do, but what you might get is kinda equal to buying a 6TB harddrive and recieving 3x 2TB drives. ... But I was prepared for this possibilty, because of research. So, yeah.

Maxix

Feb 12, 2020
https://www.thomas-krenn.com/de/wikiDE/images/4/44/Lsi_userguide_2006_20130528.pdf
Page 2-5
I'm leaning towards where LSI keep their OEM keys (ie Cachecade) thats on a tiny little chip, which being serial would explain the lack of pins

You will need to find a F40 owner who can extract their SEEPROM so you can upload it to yours

I will see into that maybe. But first.. something funky.

PROGRESS! - Somewhat

Sas2flsh didn't want to do anything even using the specific pci address. However!, lsirec can also do by pci address i found out.

So it seems I can flash the card with almost anything using lsirec..
But it kept giving me
IOC failed to become ready

But then for some reason it does accept your F80_IR_FW.bin !. And it becomes avalible again in lsiutil, and probably other tools. However, lsiutil now seems to have limited menu options.
The lights on the card would also come on again, tho, some red.

I then tried to use lsiutil to flash instead, but nope. Hmm... I am also stumbling a bit around in the different version... LSI.. Seagate?.. Nytrowarp?.. Sun/Oracle..etc.

Here are some of my actions/output.

------------------------------- lsiutil shows nothing -----------------------------------------

kp@kp-OptiPlex-960:~/Downloads/lsirec$ sudo lsiutil
LSI Logic MPT Configuration Utility, Version 1.72, Sep 09, 2014
0 MPT Ports found

------------------------------- Trying to flash ... IOC fail -----------------------------------------
kp@kp-OptiPlex-960:~/Downloads/lsirec$ sudo ./lsirec 0000:01:00.0 hostboot NWD-BLP4-400_13.00.08.00.bin
Trying unlock in MPT mode...
Device in MPT mode
Resetting adapter in HCB mode...
Device in MPT mode
IOC is RESET
Setting up HCB...
HCDW virtual: 0x7f203bc00000
HCDW physical: 0x10fe00000
Loading firmware...
Loaded 1800288 bytes
Booting IOC...
IOC is RESET

------------------------------- Flashing F80 - success -----------------------------------------
kp@kp-OptiPlex-960:~/Downloads/lsirec$ sudo ./lsirec 0000:01:00.0 hostboot F80_IR_FW.bin
Device in MPT mode
Device in MPT mode
IOC is RESET
Setting up HCB...
HCDW virtual: 0x7f6c8aa00000
Loading firmware...
Loaded 1028008 bytes
Booting IOC...
IOC is READY
IOC Host Boot successful.

------------------------------- lsiutil now shows the card, but limited options? ---------------------------------------

kp@kp-OptiPlex-960:~/Downloads/lsirec$ sudo lsiutil
LSI Logic MPT Configuration Utility, Version 1.72, Sep 09, 2014
1 MPT Port found
Port Name Chip Vendor/Type/Rev MPT Rev Firmware Rev IOC
1. ioc2 LSI Logic SSS6200 03 200 71000000 0
Select a device: [1-1 or 0 to quit] 1
1. Identify firmware, BIOS, and/or FCode
2. Download firmware (update the FLASH)
4. Download/erase BIOS and/or FCode (update the FLASH)
8. Scan for devices
801. Scan for 1 LUN
810. Scan for 10 LUN's
10. Change IOC settings (interrupt coalescing)
13. Change SAS IO Unit settings
16. Display attached devices
20. Diagnostics
21. RAID actions
23. Reset target
42. Display operating system names for devices
43. Diagnostic Buffer actions
45. Concatenate SAS firmware and NVDATA files
59. Dump PCI config space
60. Show non-default settings
61. Restore default settings
66. Show SAS discovery errors
69. Show board manufacturing information
97. Reset SAS link, HARD RESET
98. Reset SAS link
99. Reset port
e Enable expert mode in menus
p Enable paged mode
w Enable logging

------------------------------- Trying to flash the "complete" backup from lsiutil -----------------------------------------

Main menu, select an option: [1-99 or e/p/w or 0 to quit] 2
Enter firmware filename: oldcontent.bin
Firmware image's version is WarpDrive-110.00.01.00 (2014.09.26)
110.00.01.00(2014.09.26)-BIOS tx@(#)LSI Corporation
110.00.01.00(2014.09.26)-CU IR e@(#)LSI Corporation
110.00.01.00(2014.09.26)-CU IR t@(#)LSI Corporation
110.00.01.00(2014.09.26)-CU IR o@(#)LSI Corporation
MPTFW-113.05.03.00-IE
LSI Logic
ELP-4x100-4d-n
MPTFW-113.05.03.00-BL
LSI Logic
Not Packaged Yet
MPTFW-113.05.03.00-IE
LSI Logic
ELP-4x100-4d-n
MPTFW-113.05.03.00-BL
LSI Logic
Not Packaged Yet
Image's checksum is invalid!
The image appears to be corrupted, proceed with caution
Image's Vendor ID appears to be wrong!
Current hardware Vendor ID is 1000
Image's hardware Vendor ID is 0000
Image's Product ID appears to be wrong!
Current firmware Product ID is 2713
Image's firmware Product ID is 0000
Image's length is invalid!
The image appears to be corrupted, proceed with caution
Are you sure you want to continue? [Yes or No, default is No] Yes
Downloading image...
Download failed, IOCStatus = 0003 (Invalid SGL)

------------------------------- Trying to flash the "complete" backup -----------------------------------------

kp@kp-OptiPlex-960:~/Downloads/lsirec$ sudo ./lsirec 0000:01:00.0 hostboot oldcontent.bin
Device in MPT mode
Kernel driver unbound from device
Device in MPT mode
IOC is RESET
Setting up HCB...
HCDW virtual: 0x7f96a9800000
Loading firmware...
Loaded 2097152 bytes
Booting IOC...
IOC is RESET

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Sparkey

Feb 23, 2020
Ohio
QRZ.com
I am no expert but I read a thread about recovering LSI chipped cards.. It said something about having to run the initial rom erase that you do as the first part of the reflash procedure.. So someone out there has posted a way to recover bricked cards, good luck and I may be doing a LSI flash soon so I may need it as well..

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Sas2flsh didn't want to do anything even using the specific pci address.
What make and model motherboard are you using? Some Supermicro boards, many X9* for example, don't work with Sas2flsh. Instead you need to boot into the EFI shell and use Sas2flash.efi instead.

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
With F80 successful flash did you also go through the PCI_ID SBR change ?
I would try this with F40 IR FW as you may run into issues if the F80 FW is expecting 4x 200GB SSD's

Some more reading that may help with unbricking:
marcan/lsirec

AndyAdams

Feb 22, 2022
Berlin, Germany
nuxgame.com
Drive showed up as 4x 100gb indiviual drives, and that wasn't what I wanted, so I tried to follow this guide (The only one on the entire internet, it can seem).
Converting a Sun/Oracle F40/F80 Flash Accelerator to a LSI/Seagate Warpdrive | Kenneth Kasilag

I successfully followed the steps until
Choose 2. Download firmware (update the FLASH) and select the extracted controller firmware you obtained in Step Two.
Where it didn't accept what I was feeding it. checksum was bad and more. I have a lot on my plate right now and could use some assistance. Would someone be able to do my coding homework for me? I'm willing to pay for your time and effort.

In the step previous to that, I however also accidentally choose to delete "Seeprom"???! Was that a disaster?, but didn't result in my next issue.. least right away.

Lots of desperation followed trying to flash, until now where "lsiutil", cannot see the card.

I have flashed other cards to IT mode before, but this process just baffles me.

I have the sbr_backup.bin which i have been trying to write with lsirec, without any change.
I also have the complete other backup file from the other backup step.
Along with screenshots of all info outputs.
Do you still sell F80 drives? They are not as economical as the F40 on ebay and the extra capacity would be appreciated if I could get them for a great price, say, 8 of them?

Last edited:

chiuljnk

Apr 20, 2016
I just bricked my card but it responds to lsirec (but not lsiutil). Can someone give me their sbr_backup.bin and also the F40 firmware bin that enables IT mode?