Optane P1600X 58GB $40

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

altano

Sep 3, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
While I enjoy living in Europe, I sometimes wish I lived in the US. This is one of those times...
Will Newegg not ship internationally? Or do not give the cheap pricing? If it's still economical I can sell you one at cost (plus shipping) if you'd like.

ano

Nov 7, 2022
shipping this from Us> eu is not bad, but of course its a factor, I will try to buy up a few (use for slog) if someone wants in norway I'll distrbute

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
In the past I'd seen numerous references to SLOG flushing every five seconds, I presume that's still the case.
You can configure zfs as far as I know as to how often it should flush.

And if you put this drive in front of a Spinning pool/SSD pool that have a higher sustained sequential write speed than 890 MB/s - it will slow you down. Obviously if you have random sync writes the picture is different - but for sequential writes - this is a slow drive.

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
it will not, because its about latency and not about sequential write speeds. Sync write, even sequential, is slower on any SSD.
I only ever mentioned sequential write speeds - and if you have a pool that can sustain 10GB/s sequential write speed - you are being slowed down. Scroll up and read what I wrote about pool speeds.

So again - if you have a pool that is faster than 890MB/S when doing sequential writes (sync) - you will be slowed down by adding this "slow" drive as a SLOG.

For latency and IOPS its a good idea to add a drive like this, but if you care about sequential write speed, i.e. if you are doing video editing or similar where you write massive amounts of data sequentially you will be dissapointed. (If you have a pool that is fast enough sequentially)

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Sync write, even sequential, is slower on any SSD.
Also - why even mention this? Do you put a SLOG in front of a single SSD? I guarantee you that putting together a pool with SSD's can be much faster both random and sequential than the optane drive. IOPS might be better with a optane in front, but you will suffer sequentially.

Skud

Jan 3, 2012
Just remember - these drives are very slow for a NVME.
IOPS are awesome, but their sequential bandwith are like a 3rd of a normal m.2 SSD.

So if you have a ZFS pool backed by spinners, where total sequential write speed is less than 1GB/s you are golden - anything higher - you need a better SLOG or it will slow you down.
Depending on your risk tolerance and hardware capabilities you can pool multiple SLOGs, which will increase bandwidth. I've done this before with the old Sun F40s (4 x 48GB MLC) and NVDIMMs. Worked as expected.

Riley

Reactions: itronin

Bjorn Smith

Sep 3, 2019
r00t.dk
Depending on your risk tolerance and hardware capabilities you can pool multiple SLOGs, which will increase bandwidth. I've done this before with the old Sun F40s (4 x 48GB MLC) and NVDIMMs. Worked as expected.

Riley
Yes SLOG VDEV's follows the same rules as other vdevs - but I am not sure if you could build a striped mirror, or if you are limited to a single level of devices. You probably are.

FlorianZ

Dec 10, 2019
Wouldn't these be better suited as a special device in front of a pool of spinners, rather than a SLOG?

ArthurA

Sep 26, 2018
Wouldn't these be better suited as a special device in front of a pool of spinners, rather than a SLOG?
SLOG (Seperate Intent Log) is a special VDEV that replaces ZIL (ZFS Intent Log) writes to the main VDEVs.

ASync writes go to RAM then the pool in transaction groups, they don't hit ZIL/SLOG.

Sync writes are committed to ZIL/SLOG before being committed to primary VDEVs in transaction groups.

If you put SLOG in front of spinners where media endurance isn't as limited then you primarily stop the write heads from thrashing back and forth between ZIL and DATA blocks. Writing data to ZIL and then again to the pool may not be concerning from a media endurance POV but if you're seeing x MB/s sustained the disks are seeing 2x MB/s bandwidth consumption.

If your pool is flash ZIL latency/random RW seek contention isn't crippling like it is to spinners, here SLOG mostly prevents you from halving your useable endurance by writing all SYNC data to the main VDEVs twice, but your SLOG should be faster than the pool which for modern SSDs is difficult without multiple SLOG VDEVs. An advantage to Optane here besides endurance is that it's not buffered so instantly committed and the sustained write speeds span entire volume, you don't need an Optane SLOG to match the DRAM cache speed of your SSDs only the bandwidth they can deliver after the DRAM buffer is saturated.

Reactions: ttvd and itronin

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I had a similar experience with radian rms-200 :D
Found a bunch of them on ebay for like 80 or 90€ each (free shipping in eu made them an awesome deal here)
rms-200 is also an awesome - albeit hot running beast of a slog. I've got a couple of those and use them as SLOG for optane pools! o_O :p;)

jtaj

Jul 13, 2021
58gb seems kinda off putting unless used as a cache. still waiting for that pmem 3.0 ddr5 with HEDT CPU.. wondering if we'll see the last of optane work with HEDT platform on 40+ P cores.

juma

Apr 14, 2021
This is probably a stupid question, but is there any benefit in putting these in a RAID10 for SLOG? I have a few extra PCIE 4x M.2 adapters and a few extra PCIE lanes to spare..

ano

Nov 7, 2022
after testing a lot of stuff, imho, not really , in realworld, maybe if you have fairly massive transfers over NFS, and no ssd storage, big maybe.

Reactions: juma

altano

Sep 3, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Reactions: itronin and juma

Mannekino

Jan 5, 2023
Does anybody know if there are similar good deals on these drives in Europe? Newegg doesn't shop to Europe unfortunatly, only to Turkey and United Kingdom. I'm in The Netherlands.