OpenWRT DMZ: failed to setup

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

stamasd

May 30, 2020
Here is a little background. I am setting up a home server with multiple purposes (website, personal cloud). It is running off a Linux box, the details of which are unimportant - let me just say that the services I want are already up and running and are perfectly accessible from within my home network.

Now, my home network runs off an OpenWRT router. It's a fairly recent build, 19.01 I think. I do have a domain name, and have a DDNS client on the router making sure it gets pointed to the current public IP address etc; that is also set and running properly.

In order to have my server accessible from outside the home network, I need to place it outside the firewall, in a DMZ, and this is where I failed repeatedly. I have followed various guides I found, including Creating a DMZ in OpenWRT | Just another Linux geek but it did not work. I actually tried several times and failed every time. Granted that guide is from 5 years ago but AFAIK nothing major has changed in OWRT networking since. Still, no success.

Does anyone know of a more recent guide, or perhaps alternate ways to achieve what I want? FWIW I tried also just doing port forward/redirects on the firewall (80, 443 etc) and that also didn't work.

Any help appreciated.

(edit) Ignore this - I figured out it was my ISP blocking ports. :D

Last edited: