Openstack 2016: Ubuntu or Mirantis?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I have a few boxes in the Sunnyvale datacenter that I want to turn into a small OpenStack depoloyment.

Here is my question: Mirantis or Ubuntu Autopilot? @dba and others, is there one that is much easier?

Reactions: Chuntzu

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Ubuntu's Juju-based Autopilot tool is more flexible. Mirantis has a lot of fixed assumptions about # of servers required and placement of OpenStack modules on those servers. If you are taking it quickly to a large production deployment Mirantis' approach is "more correct". But if your just playing around Ubuntu's deployment tools will probably work better for you.

TuxDude

Sep 17, 2011
Any reason you aren't considering RDO on RHEL/CentOS? I haven't tried any of them yet so can't comment, but I do like to keep most of my stuff on the RHEL (and clones) platform.

RDO

Reactions: ultradense

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Any reason you aren't considering RDO on RHEL/CentOS? I haven't tried any of them yet so can't comment, but I do like to keep most of my stuff on the RHEL (and clones) platform.

RDO
TBH I think the highest chance of success is going to be Autopilot or Mirantis for me.

The one semi-scary thing is stuff like this:
upload_2016-2-5_10-28-48.png

I mean - how hard would it be to tell me capacities or something about the drives?

If anyone is wondering - sdc is not the drive I wanted so I am trying sdd. 50% chance that is right.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
I've deployed all three - RDO, Ubuntu OpenStack and Mirantis. Several times, for trials, demos, labs, toys and production.

For what Patrick is doing I wouldn't even consider RDO. The level of understanding and detail you need to do anything more than their single-node virtualized demo deployment is not worth it.

Ubuntu all day/all night for a simple "try it out" lab deployment.

That said, of course, we are deploying RDO in a very large way for our company (thousands of CPUs in a few dozen sites). But the choice has a lot more to do with their support organization than it does with their packaging.

Reactions: Chuntzu

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Ubuntu all day/all night for a simple "try it out" lab deployment.
Ok so I am going down the wrong path with Mirantis then! Good to know before the first node got installed.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
I just deployed RDO (integrated/simple install) on CentOS 1511 (7.2), seems ok, need to dig under the openstack/mirantis hood more though.

iGene

Jun 15, 2014
Taiwan
In my personal experience, Mirantis OpenStack(Fuel) is quite easy to setup and deploy due to it web interface. I went for it after trying other different methods such as puppet or RDO.

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
Fuel worked great for me and having built in ways to handle scaleio, mellanox rdma, and even some work with windows compute nodes and cloudbase.it is great. It was really one of tools I could use at first to deploy openstack....mind you like 3 years ago and my understanding is light years ahead now. It works well, but autopilot was really really easy to use, like 5 min boom done.

Reactions: Patrick