OpenSSH OmniOS with HPN Patch

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

aholmes5

Dec 19, 2015
I just recently moved from the SunSSH to OpenSSH following the instructoins in the r151016 release notes. Basically this involves rejecting the SunSSH packages and installing the OpenSSH packages. I am happy to report this resulted in an rsync (via ssh) speedup from ~60MB/s to 90MB/s over 1Gb ethernet. The problem is that I also have some 10Gb connections and they peak at 90MB/s as well. I believe this is due to many of the buffer constraints that were built into OpenSSH and have been subsequently fixed by the HPN-SSH patches to OpenSSH developed by the Pittsburgh Supercomputer Center.

Has anyone successfully updated their OpenSSH 7.1p1 to the HPN patches? Might it be possible to have the OmniOS pkgs pre-patched? I have tried compiling from scratch but have had difficulty getting things to work after installing. Apparently most companies Apple, Amazon, etc have already patched their OpenSSH with the HPN patches to take advantage of the 10-100x throughput increase.

Thoughts?

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Now there's an idea :-D

I did some HPN work some 7-8 years ago (Internet2 and DCN networks, DRAGON controllers driven by openvz VM ctrl's, was SWEET!)

We used bbcp and some other tool that eludes my memory, oh yeah nuttcp, crushed a then 10Gbps pipe (commonplace these days right) between Colorado and Virginia (2K milkes, all layer 2, CONSTANT 40ms latency).

Ohh the good ole' days, had that fiber pulled under a road from L3 w/ some cool high pressure water blaster tech.

This article is GOLD if you have time folks do yourself a favor and read it!

https://fasterdata.es.net/assets/fasterdata/JT-201010.pdf