OpenSM for Windows on Connectx4+

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Spartus

Mar 28, 2012
Toronto, Canada
Hello,

Trying to setup direct infiniband between two machines with CX4 cards (EDR). apparently there is no OpenSM for WinOF-2 drivers.

Any ideas how to get this concept to work? Alternative distribution of OpenSM?

Any testimonial of "I banged my head against the wall because of this already and gave up" is also an incredibly helpful anecdote. I personally tried running the OpenSM that comes with CX3 cards and no go.

Thanks

necr

Dec 27, 2017
hmmm...the OpenSM on CX3 (WinOF) was working fine for me, it's not a trivial task to compile it on Windows. I'd suggest using a SR-IOV VM and configuring the adapters so that they are allowed to run OpenSM. Alternatively, run Linux hypervisors with Windows VMs on top, or get a switch

xtantaudio

Apr 8, 2022
hmmm...the OpenSM on CX3 (WinOF) was working fine for me, it's not a trivial task to compile it on Windows. I'd suggest using a SR-IOV VM and configuring the adapters so that they are allowed to run OpenSM. Alternatively, run Linux hypervisors with Windows VMs on top, or get a switch
Just curious, is there a switch that you recommend ? I have seen the mention of the Brocade ICX and VDX units, I am planning on basically the same setup of ethernet, just curious on your opinion. Thank you.

sharonyue

Apr 20, 2022
There is another way to use unmanaged switch who does not have opensm. You can use a connectx3 for one node, the others you can use connextx4. Use the opensm by the connectx3. I tried this and it works.

Reactions: xtantaudio